Vermont State Police say they've cracked a crime spree in the Upper Valley. Police say Joshua Hill, 19, Jason Hicks, 18, Thomas Gauthier, 21, and Mikel Brady, 20, are responsible for upwards of 100 burglaries throughout the Upper Valley over the last two years-- most of them at homes and business, but police say the men also stole dynamite from the Rock of Ages quarry in Bethel last summer. Police say the investigation into a recent home invasion in South Royalton led them to the men.
"We received information that the individuals who committed this home invasion were also involved in the theft of the explosives," explained Det. Brian Berry of the Vt. State Police. "And we obtained information that these individuals were also involved in numerous other burglaries in the Randolph-Bethel area."
Police say the men brought the stolen loot-- mostly tools, firearms, and electronics-- to a home in Randolph where they traded it for drugs.
The home's owner, Douglas Finkle, 38, was arrested last week on federal drug charges.
"This whole issue I think revolves around drugs and money," Berry said. "These are young adults that had a place to bring all the stolen property."
Brady and Hill recently fled to Mexico and are currently in the process of being extradited back to Vermont. All four men will face charges of burglary and possession of explosives.
"Each of them may not have been together during each burglary, but all were involved in this burglary ring," Berry said.
Police say that other people have also been arrested in connection with the burglaries, but they say these four men were at the core of the crime ring.
Thursday, April 17 2014 11:24 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:24:20 GMT
Police say two people found dead at a home in Stowe are believed to have died in a murder-suicide. Police are still not releasing their names or the cause of death, but they say the victims are adults. StoweMore >>
Police say two people found dead at a home in Stowe are believed to have died in a murder-suicide.More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:26:34 GMT
A 79-year-old woman accused of causing the death of a motorcyclist in Vermont last year has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of careless or negligent operation and has received a suspended sentence of six to...More >>
A 79-year-old woman accused of causing the death of a motorcyclist in Vermont last year has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of careless or negligent operation and has received a suspended sentence of six to 12 months.More >>