Burlington, Vermont - December 2, 2009
Vermont is reporting its third swine flu death.
The Health Department says an adult with a pre-existing medical condition died in November. Officials also offered new information on how many people were admitted to the hospital since the pandemic started. As of last week, 130 Vermonters have been hospitalized with H1N1. Nearly one-third of them were so sick they were placed in intensive care.
Meanwhile, the state health commissioner, Dr. Wendy Davis, says the swine flu outbreak appears to be waning.
"Over the past two weeks, hospitals are reporting decreases in emergency department visits for flu symptoms," Davis said. "Although still high, far fewer patients have been hospitalized over the past few weeks, since a peak earlier in November. To date, there have been three laboratory-confirmed deaths related to H1N1 flu, all in adults who had serious underlying health conditions."
Davis says the incidence of swine flu is still widespread and there are still many people at high risk of complications who have not been vaccinated.
Anson Tebbetts - WCAX News
PO Box 4508