5 Dead After 3 Murders In Vermont - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

5 Dead After 3 Murders In Vermont

Murder Scene in Rutland Murder Scene in Rutland
Murder/Suicide Scene in Brandon Murder/Suicide Scene in Brandon

Rutland, Vermont - November 2, 2007

At least five people are dead following three murders in Bennington and Rutland Counties.

One of them took place in broad daylight in the center of downtown Rutland between Wal-mart and the train station. Police were called to the parking lot just before 5 p.m. Thursday after reports of a stabbing. 24-year -old John Baptie had been stabbed in the neck. Witnesses gave him first-aid until an ambulance took him to Rutland Medical Center where Baptie was pronounced dead.

23-year-old Jonathan Bruno had run from the scene to a house a few blocks away. He was arrested without incident a short-time after the stabbing. Police have not released a motive. Witnesses told the police the victim and the suspect knew each other and were in a dispute. Bruno is behind bars, charged with second-degree murder.

And authorities are investigating two murder-sucides.

Vermont State Police say a young girl woke up to find her mother, and her mother's boyfriend dead. The bodies of 32-year-old Benjamin Ploski and 29-year-old Felicia Armstrong were discovered in their home on the Watrous Road in Rupert Thursday. Police say Armstrong's 5-year-old daughter found the bodies. Investigators say the toddler told them she heard the two arguing the night before and Ploski said quote "I'm going to get a gun and shoot you." Investigators say a rifle was found next to Ploski.

Police say a love triangle sparked one in Brandon Thursday night. According to investigators, Todd English of Forest Dale forced his way into a home on Union Street. He then got into an argument about Richard Griffin's live-in girlfriend, who use to date English. Police say during the fight, English shot Griffin twice.

"Griffen was able to make it outside the residence, went to a neighbor's house for help, and was met by the first officer outside on the street," said Brandon Chief Christopher Brickell.

While police were enroute, English reportedly turned the gun on himself. Griffen died from his wounds at the hospital.


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.