Inn workers sickened by guests' leftover marijuana edibles

By  | 

SHELBURNE, Vt. (WCAX) Police say marijuana edibles sent two inn employees to the hospital in Shelburne Wednesday morning.

When police got to the Inn at Shelburne Farms at about 10 a.m., they found two employees unresponsive. They were rushed to the hospital.

Police say it turns out the women, who were housekeepers, ate chocolate left behind by guests at the inn. They say the candy looked like "Whoppers" malted milk balls, but they were actually marijuana edibles.

"The investigation revealed that these two guests who had checked out of the hotel that had these edibles were still traveling and decided that they didn't want to bring the edibles with them, so they had left them behind," Shelburne Police Ofc. Josh Flore said.

Police say there are no charges being brought against the two guests.

Shelburne Farms says employees are told to never eat anything left behind by guests and after this incident, they are reviewing their training to ensure all workers understand that.