Deadline passes and no deal on Burlington Telecom

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) There is still no deal to buy Burlington Telecom.

The two finalists competing to buy the city-owned utility have been working all week to find a way to work together in the purchase. The Burlington City Council told representatives from Ting and Keep BT Local to report back Friday.

Late in the afternoon, we were told word went to city councilors from KBTL that the two sides "were unable to reach agreement on a way to work together that was acceptable to both parties." A representative for Ting declined to comment.

The City Council now plans to reopen the process to two semi-finalist bidders who were passed over earlier this month.

We've learned a key player in those talks is former Burlington Mayor Peter Clavelle. The Progressive is the city's longest-serving mayor and he led the charge to create Burlington Telecom 15 years ago. Current Mayor Miro Weinberger invited Clavelle to assist in talks this week. Clavelle was also key in landing an agreement to redevelop the Burlington Town Center mall.

In a statement Friday night, Mayor Miro Weinberger revealed that Ting offered Keep BT Local 20-percent of the new Burlington Telecom. His statement went on to say, ”The Council deadlock over its selected finalists and the failure of the collaboration effort put the future of Burlington Telecom and the City's related interests in a precarious and uncertain position. I will be working closely with Councilors over the coming days to bring this challenging issue to resolution quickly and responsibly."

In the past, councilors have expressed frustration with how the mayor has handled this entire process.