Fire at Burlington apartment complex started in stairwell

BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) The Burlington Fire Department says a weekend fire that displaced eight families started in a stairwell.

The fire happened Saturday on South Meadow Road.

While new housing has been found for four of the eight displaced families, the Champlain Housing Trust is determining whether the other four families can move back in.

Now, CHT will begin working with their insurance company and contractors on how to rebuild.

They are also making efforts to help the families who lost their belongings in the fire. If you want to help, call the Champlain Housing Trust at 802-862-6244.