ST. JOHNSBURY, Vt. (WCAX) State police are warning about a dangerous game that landed a St. Johnsbury Academy student in the hospital.
Troopers were called to the private school around 9 a.m. Wednesday after a student intentionally lost consciousness with the help of another student. Authorities say it was first reported as an assault, but they later learned the students were playing the so-called blackout game.
Students told officers the victim hyperventilated and then was choked by a friend in order to blackout. After passing out, the victim fell on the floor, cutting open their chin and breaking teeth. They were taken to Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital.
Police say the teen activity, which is often videoed by the participants, is extremely dangerous.