BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) This winter's cold snap is wiping out wood piles quicker than normal.
That's why state leaders are offering Vermonters some tips to stretch the wood pile.
1. Look into updating an older, inefficient wood stove to a new EPA certified stove.
2. Switch from firewood to kiln dried wood. It is more expensive but may be worth it if your pile is running low.
3. Check your home for drafts and plug them up to keep things warmer.
4. Low-income Vermonters can apply for assistance.
5. Don't burn green wood. State leaders say it's a potential fire hazard and it's bad for air quality.