BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) A natural gas leak at the University of Vermont Tuesday afternoon was caused by a construction crew.
It happened on the campus between Williams Hall and Old Mill. University officials say workers were driving a wood stake into the ground when they hit a one inch gas line causing a leak.
"You know the reason the fire department shows up quickly is obviously to address any fire hazards. The crews basically clear the work site. They realize pretty much immediately what occurred," said Zachary Borst with UVM.
Borst said buildings in the area were monitored for gas levels but that evacuations weren't necessary. Construction crews resumed their work later in the afternoon.