Everything Animals: You know you love animals if...
Burlington, Vermont - February 8, 2011
In honor of WCAXOXO Week, Sue Skaskiw from VSNIP and Keefer Irwin from VVSA Humane Society joined us in the studio to talk about why spaying or neutering an animal is actually a very loving thing to do.
For financial assistance with spaying or neutering your pet, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: VSNIP, P.O. Box 95, Bridgewater, VT, 05034.
And for a few laughs, check out this list:
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE ANIMALS A LOT IF...
1. You have a mental list of people you'd like to spay or neuter.
2. You stopped at a house with a "Free Puppies" sign in the yard to have an Educational "Chat," and your kids had to post your bail.
3. Running out of paper towels is a household crisis.
4. You not only know all the characteristics of a good "stool," you discuss them at dinner.
5. You have a bumper sticker that reads "My Golden Retriever Is Smarter Than Your Graduate Student."
6. You secretly wonder about such things as 'how animals can manage without wiping.'
7. You pray they will someday manufacture Teflon furniture.
8. You have phone calls forwarded to PetSmart.
9. You absentmindedly pat people on the head or scratch them behind their ears.
10. Given the choice of having your teeth cleaned or their teeth cleaned, they get their teeth cleaned.
11. You not only allow pets on the couch, guests have to sit on the floor because the dog has "territorial issues."
12. Your spouse missed the final game of the World Series because the cat wanted to watch his favorite video, "Birds of North America."
13. Anytime the animal appears lethargic, you go on-line and investigate vet med websites, pose questions to your address book and on e-lists, and by the time you digest all the information and field the correspondence, the animal has torn out the window screens, masticated a couch cushion and left something disgusting in your favorite pair of shoes.
14. Your chatroom handle is "Queen of Spayeds."
15. You and your vet are on a first name basis and he genuflects when you enter the waiting room. His daughter at Harvard refers to you as "Auntie."
16. You needed a prescription to recover from "Old Yeller."
17. You've forwarded more warnings about the dangers of chocolate, onions and mistletoe than the National Center for Disease Control has issued about anthrax and smallpox.
18. You wear white year 'round, not because you are flaunting a fashion law or belong to a religious sect but because you have a Dalmatian, Great Pyrenees, Samoyed or white Persian at home.
19. The world would never guess from your "dog or kitty speak" posts to e-lists that in reality you are chairman of the IBM corporation.
20. By the time you investigate different flea control products, their advantages and potential risks, natural versus chemical methods, and study the life cycle of the flea, any fleas have died of old age.
21. You tell your children to "heel!" in a grocery store.
22. For relaxation, you went mall hopping with your girlfriends. Your eyes glazed over when you saw a sign in front of a pet shop, "20% Off All Puppies & Kittens," and you slapped three security guards before they got you safely contained in the manager's office.
Friday, April 18 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:02:17 GMT
A sugaring season was cut short in Swanton overnight after a shed caught fire. Fire officials tell us they got the call around 1:30 a.m. Friday for the sugarhouse fire on Woods Hill Road. They say theMore >>
Sugaring season was cut short in Swanton early Friday morning after a shed caught fire. More >>
Friday, April 18 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:04:26 GMT
This week, the first line of emergency responders are being recognized for their work. National Telecommunicators Week ends Saturday. It's a national week honoring the men and women who work around-the-clockMore >>
This week, the first line of emergency responders are being recognized for their work.More >>
Friday, April 18 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-18 15:50:17 GMT
Fires may soon be burning in parts of the Green Mountain National Forest. Federal officials will team up with local fire departments for some prescribed burns. They only plan to burn about 300 or 400More >>
Federal officials will team up with local fire departments for some prescribed burns in the Green Mountain National Forest.More >>
Friday, April 18 2014 10:05 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:05:15 GMT
As the temperatures start to climb, it's your last weekend to ski in New Hampshire. The three remaining areas that are open -- Loon Mountain, Cannon Mountain, and Bretton Woods -- are planning to closeMore >>
As the temperatures start to climb, it's your last weekend to ski in New Hampshire.More >>