August 9, 2011
BENNINGTON, Vt. (AP) - Bennington officials say they're not happy that the state of Vermont is delaying for a year plans to open a new welcome center.
Officials in Bennington had been planning to mark the opening of the welcome center and the second section of the Bennington bypass highway project next spring.
But David Burley of the state Department of Buildings and General Services says the original schedule was too aggressive and it would have cost too much to have construction under way on the center during the winter.
The Bennington Banner says the project will now be put out for bid in November with construction due to start next spring with the opening in 2013.
The welcome center will feature views of the Bennington Battle Monument and Mount Anthony.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.