Brandon, Vermont - September 23, 2011
For the first time ever the Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) virus has been found in a live animal in Vermont and health officials want you to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.
The Vermont Health Department says emus at a farm in Brandon began getting sick last week and Thursday tests confirmed EEE.
The illness is carried by mosquitoes. A mild case causes flulike symptoms. But EEE can infect the nervous system. In rare cases, it's deadly or leaves patients who survive with permanent disabilities.