What's Cooking -- October 7, 2011
Chef Courtney Contos with www.chefcontos.com joins us this morning to make a delicious dark chocolate amaretto cake with berries.
Dark Chocolate Cake with Raspberries and Amaretto
3 cups unbleached white flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cold water or brewed coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons Amaretto, other liquor, or orange juice
1/3 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup Amaretto (water or milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into two un-greased 9 inch round baking tins.
2. In a small bowl measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla together.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk batter together.
3. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter. Divide batter evenly into the two prepared cake tins.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the glaze melt the chocolate on low heat over a double boiler. When the chocolate is melted, remove from stove and whisk in hot water, amaretto and vanilla until the mixture is smooth. The consistency should not be thin, to make the glaze thicker, chill for a few minutes.
5. To assemble, place one cake layer on serving dish with the flat side up. Mix berries with jam and set aside. Brush bottom cake layer with 1/4 cup Amaretto, then evenly spread berry mixture. Drizzle approximately 1/2 cup chocolate glaze on top of berry mixture. Carefully place on the second cake layer, with the flat side up. Spread chocolate glaze on top allowing the glaze to drip a little over the sides. Garnish for the occasion (fresh berries, halloween candies, or nuts etc.) and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.
(May also be made into cupcakes. Makes 11. Spoon berry filling in the middle of batter. Once baked and cooled, dip cupcakes into glaze).