December 14, 2011
Gluten-free pumpkin pie
West Meadow Farm Bakery
Pie Crust Pastry
1. Place the flour in to the mixing bowl. Cut in butter and shortening until it resembles peas or lima beans.
2. Beat the egg, vinegar and water with a fork. Stir into the flour mixture and form a ball.
3. Portion out a baseball-sized hunk of dough and on a well floured (rice flour) piece of waxed paper or parchment paper pat it into a disc and roll with a rolling pin to the size about 1½-2 inches larger than your inverted pie pan. Carefully hold the inverted pie pan over the dough, slip your free hand under the waxed/parchment paper and gingerly flip the dough into the pan in a smooth motion bringing the pie pan to a right-side-up position.
4. Fill your pie crust with desired filling and again roll out another disc of dough. Again slip your hand under the waxed/parchment paper and flip dough on top of pie. Crimp the edge and slit the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in preheated oven the prescribed time for your particular pie. If you just want a pie shell prick the sides and bottom with a fork and bake at 400˚ for 10-12 minutes till lightly browned.
PO Box 4508