MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - Police in Essex, Vt., first thought someone may have attacked horse with a corrosive substance. The animal's skin was blistering, it was losing hair and one of its eyes eventually went blind.
But now police say it appears the horse merely got into some bad clover.
A veterinarian at the Vermont Large Animal Clinic told police there's a variety of clover that can cause a toxic byproduct to form in a horse's liver, triggering the symptoms the horse experienced. This type of clover was found in the pasture where the horse was grazing.
The horse has been signed over to the Spring Hill Horse Rescue center and is continuing to get treatment there.
Police have dropped their criminal investigation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.