It's moving day for dozens of families staying at the TownePlace Suites in Williston. A hotel fire Saturday night caused guests to wring out what's left of their belongings in the parking lot. For Chris and Jack Tardie its déjà vu. "We just take it step by step and day by day" Chris Tardie said. "When we pulled in I could see where the fire was and I knew it was right next our window so I was just shocked, couldn't believe it," Jack Tardie said.
A similar fire destroyed their Essex Junction home 5 days ago. That fire was caused by an outdoor cooking accident which quickly got out of hand. They have been staying at the hotel ever since. "When I stepped in the garage I got these burns and stuff was dripping down from the ceiling and the whole ceiling was engulfed in fire" Tardie said as he recalled the fire at his home. He caused the accident, and says the guilt is the hardest part to deal with. "I feel bad every time my wife feels bad because I caused it. I tell her I wish she had caused it so I could say 'that's okay dear,'" he said. His wife Chris says there's no reason to dwell on the accident, " it could have been me I could have done it and he would have been just as understanding as me" Chris Tardie said.
The Tardies are a deeply religious family, they say their faith has helped them to move forward. "That's right, God has a plan. I don't know what it is its not my place to say why. God has a plan, let him work it through and we're going to be okay" Jack Tardie said. Bringing truth to a notion that Jack and Chris hold close to their hearts, that the Lord works in mysterious ways.