Quantcast

Threat prompts lockdown at Montpelier H.S. - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Threat prompts lockdown at Montpelier H.S.

Posted: Updated:
MONTPELIER, Vt. -

Montpelier High was in lockdown Wednesday, after the threat of a gunman targeting the school and multiple bombs in the building.

A call just before noon warned of the gunman and multiple bombs in the building.

Police armed with automatic weapons quickly responded and locked down the school with the 330 students inside, as anxious parents waited outside.

Police were able to figure out quickly that the threat was really just a hoax and that it originated in Europe.

Montpelier's superintendent, Brian Ricca, says this latest hoax comes on top of two similar hoaxes last spring.

"The procedure is to lock them down unless there's a specific reason to evacuate the building. We did-- if you're referencing last year-- have a bomb scare with an exterior threat, which is why we evacuated the building last time," Ricca said.

"But as long as she's fine over there, I'm fine. They were here and got the job done, but I'm frustrated that someone's wasting everybody's time on this. It's annoying and the fear factor, the resources of the police being called-- it's frustrating," said Terry Solomon, a parent.

Solomon says his daughter had just transferred from U-32, which had its own spate of bomb hoaxes last spring.

Montpelier police say the call came from the same place in Europe as the threats in the spring and investigators have identified the suspects.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.