Quantcast

YCQM: November 11, 2012 - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

YCQM: November 11, 2012

Posted: Updated:
BURLINGTON, Vt. -

>> Announcer: FROM VERMONT'S MOST TRUSTED NEWS SOURCE, WCAX BRINGS YOU YOUR NEWSMAKERS, YOUR NEIGHBORS. THIS IS "YOU CAN QUOTE ME."

>>> GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE. THANKS FOR JOINING ME. OUR NEWSMAKER THIS SUNDAY MORNING IS GOVERNOR PETER SHUMLIN, HE WAS JUST ELECTED TO A SECOND TERM. GOV. SHUMLIN, THANKS FOR BEING HERE.

>> GREAT TO BE WITH YOU.

>> SO LET'S TALK ABOUT ELECTION NIGHT. IT WAS AN UNUSUAL RACE. THE RACE WAS CALLED AT 7:06. IS THAT THE EASIEST ELECT YOU'VE EVER HAD IN YOUR POLITICAL CAREERS?

>> IT IS, AND YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, I HAVEN'T BEEN AT IT THAT HONK, BUT A FIVE-WAY DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY THAT I HAD TWO YEARS AGO, WE HAD TO WAIT 2 1/2 WEEKS, TWO WEEKS FOR A RECOUNSEL, SO THAT WAS A LONG WAIT. LAST TIME IN THE GENERAL ELECTION, MYSELF AND BRIAN, IT WASN'T UNTIL 11:00 THE FINALLY MORNING, WE FIGURE OUT WHO HAD WON, SO IT WAS SHOCKING. I WAS OUT AT DINNER WITH MY GIRLS AT 7:00 AND AT 7:00, WHATEVER IT WAS, THE PHONE RINGS AND IT'S MY CAMPAIGN MANAGER SAYING YOU WON. I SAID HOW CAN WE HAVE WON? WE HAVEN'T COUNTED BALLOTS YET? HE SAD IT'S THE EXIT POLLS. I SAID DON'T BELIEVE THEM, LET'S WAIT FOR RETURNS, SO I WENT BACK AND CONTINUED TO EAT DINNER WITH YIE GIRLS.

>> BUT RANDY BROCK, I CALLED HIS CAMPAIGN AND SAID LOOK WHAT CNN IS CALLING THE RACE. HE SAID LET'S WAIT AND SEE THE NUMBERS, THEY REALIZED IT WAS NOT GOING THEIR WAY, THEY GAVE YOU A CALL I THINK AFTER 10:00 OR SO. WHAT DID RANDY SAY SO YOU?

>> HE WAS VERY GRACIOUS. HE SAID I'M CALMING TO CONCEDE THE RACE, YOU'RE THE WINNER, AND I'M WILLING TO DO WHAFERT TAKES TO GET THINGS DONE OVER THE NEXT TWO YEARS.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, PHIL SCOTT, YOU BRING HIM INTO YOUR CABINET MEETINGS. HE HASN'T BEEN THE VOICE OF OPPOSITION, REALLY TO, YOUR ADMINISTRATION. WHO IS THE PERSON WHO'S GOING TO BE THE VOICE OF OPPOSITION TO THE DEMOCRATIC CONTROL AND STRONGHOLD THAT DEMOCRATS NOW HAVE ON THE STATE?

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF TALK ABOUT THAT QUESTION AND MY VIEW IS THAT REALLY THE WORLD HASN'T CHANGED MUCH FROM WHAT WE'VE SEEN THE LAST FEW YEARS. IN FACT, MY VIEW OF PARTISAN POLITICS IN VERMONT IS THAT MOST VERMONTERS DON'T CARE. WHAT THEY CARE ABOUT IS THAT WE'RE ACTUALLY MAKING A DIFFERENCE, THAT WE'RE GETTING THINGS DOWN, AND I SAY --

>> YOU DON'T THINK THE STATE IS A LIBERAL STATE FIRMLY, A LIBERAL STATE, THE FIRST STATE TO VOTE FOR OBAMA ON ELECTION NIGHT.

>> SURE, BUT THESE ARE -- LET'S LOOK AT THE ISSUES AND WHAT THE CHOICES WERE. IF YOU RUN A CAMPAIGN AS THE REPUBLICANS DID IN THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION ON THE NATIONAL LEVEL AND THE U.S. SENATE RACES, WHERE YOU ALIENATE WOMEN, ALIENATE MINORITIES, ALIENATE GAY AND LESBIAN AMERICANS, YOU CAN'T EXPECT TO WIN ELECTIONS. AND CERTAINLY NOT IN VERMONT. AND VERMONT IS ONE OF THE MOST INCLUSIVE STATES IN THE COUNTRY, SO LET'S NOT FORGET THAT I REPLACED A REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR, A VERY CAPABLE REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR, JIM DOUGLAS. HE SERVED FOR EIGHT YEARS. VERMONT TRADITIONALLY IN GOVERNORS HAS GONE FROM DEMOCRATIC TO REPUBLICAN EVERY SINGLE TIME THAT WE SWITCH GOVERNORS SINCE PHIL HOFF'S ELECTION.

>> YOU THINK THE GOVERNOR AFTER YOU IS GOING TO BE A REPUBLICAN?

>> ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT HISTORY WOULD SUGGEST THAT THAT'S TRUE. SO FAR, SINCE PHIL HOFF'S ELECTION, THE FIRST DEMOCRAT EVER TO GET ELECTED GOVERNOR IN THE STATE OF VERMONT, WE'VE SWITCHED PARTIES EVERY TIME, SO ALL THIS DOOM AND GLOOM ABOUT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, ALL I CAN SAY IS THE PENDULUM SWINGS BOTH WAYS. WHAT MATTERS TO VERMONTERS IS YOU GET RESULTS. PEOPLE COME TOGETHER, DEMOCRATS, REPUBLICANS, INDEPENDENTS, PROGRESS SIEVES, TO ENSURE YOU ADDRESS REAL, AND I WOULD ARGUE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN MOST OF THE REST OF AMERICA. THE PARTISAN BICKERING, THAT'S WHY FOLKS ARE SO FED UP WITH CONGRESS. IN VERMONT, LITERALLY, PEOPLE COME TOGETHER, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA, IF YOU'RE A REPUBLICAN, A DEMOCRAT, WHAT PARTY, I FEEL IF YOU'RE TRYING TO CREATE JOBS, ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES, YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA, WE WANT IT, WE DON'T CARE WHAT PARTY YOU. IF YOU HAVE A BAD IDEA, WE'RE NOT QUITE SO EXCITED ABOUT IT.

>> YOU MENTIONED ON THE NATIONAL STAGE, YOU THINK THE VIEWS THAT REPUBLICANS HELD ALIENATED VOTERS IFS WHAT REPUBLICANS RUNNING FOR HIGHER OFFICE IN VERMONT HELD THOSE SAME VIEWS THAT YOU THINK ALIENATED VOTERS.

>> I THINK THE MESSAGE FROM THE SUPER-PAC AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY GENERALLY WAS THE WRONG MESSAGE. THE MESSAGE WAS, HEY, YOU KNOW, THERE'S THIS SUPER-MAJORITY IN MONTPELIER --

>> BUT THAT WAS ACTUALLY THE LEGISLATURE INCREASED SEATS.

>> ABSOLUTELY. THAT'S HOW BAD THE ARGUMENT WAS. BUT THE ARGUMENT WASN'T, HEY, I GOT GREAT IDEASES A HERE'S WHAT WE'LL DO IF YOU ELECT US AND THIS IS HOW WE MAKE FOR VERMONT AND VERMONTERS. INSTEAD THE ARGUMENT WAS THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM, GIVE US OUR SHARE. I DON'T GENERALLY GIVE TO PEOPLE BEGGING ON THE STREETS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY'RE SUPPORTING. I FELT THAT WAS THE ARGUMENT THEY WERE MAKING. WE'RE STANDING ON THE STREET CORNER WITH OUR PAN AND THEY HAVE SO MUCH, GIVE US SOME. THAT'S NOT HOW YOU WIN ELECTIONS IN VERMONT. THEY SPENT ALL KINDS OF SUPER-PAC MONEY AND MY POINT WAS IN VERMONT, THEY LOOK AT YOU, THEY MEET YOU, THEY KNOW YOU AND LISTEN TO YOU AND THEY MAKE A CHOICE A CANDIDATES BASED UPON REAL CHANGE. I DON'T THINK THE ARGUMENT THAT THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM, THEY HAVE THIS SUPER-THING GOING ON AND WE SHOULD GET RID OF THEM RESONATES, PARTICULARLY WHEN YOU PICK ISSUES THAT AREN'T EVEN TRUE AS YOUR BASIS FOR GETTING RID OF THEM. AS THEY SAD, REMEMBER THE MAILINGS, THEY'RE GOING TO RAISE THE SALES TAX ON EVERYTHING IF YOU ELECT THEM. THAT'S NOT TRUE. THEY SUGGESTED WE ALREADY HAD. THAT WASN'T TRUE. THE PROMISES -- THE ARGUMENTS THAT WE'RE MAKING IN MY VIEW WERE THE WRONG ARGUMENTS. VERMONTERS WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO, WHY YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT.

>> YOU SAID THE ARGUMENT DIDN'T RESONATE, DEMOCRATS INCREASED THEIR MAJORITY CONTROL, WHICH YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH, WE'LL TALK ABOUT THAT IN JANUARY, BUT LET'S TALK ABOUT THE AUDITORS RACE WHERE THERE WAS A DEMOCRAT PROGRESSIVE CANDIDATE WHO WON, THERE WAS A REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE VINCE ILLUZZI WHO HAD OVER THREE DECADES OF EXPERIENCE, HE DIS DISPANSDIS DISTANCED HIMSELF FROM THE NATIONAL REPUBLICAN PARTY. WHAT MISTAKES DO YOU THINK HE MADE THAT WOULD HELP HIM SEE A PATH TOWARD ELECTION?

>> YOU HAVE TWO GREAT CANDIDATES RUNNING AND THERE'S NO QUESTION THAT THE DEMOCRAT SWEEP HELD DOUG HOFFER. WHAT I'M SAYING IS THAT DOUG HOFFER HAS WORKED IN THE AUDITOR'S OFFICE, HAS EXPERIENCE DOING THE JOB, NOT AS THE TOP PERSON, BUT IN THE OFFICE. HE'S A NUMBERS GUY. I THINK VERMONTERS LOOKED AT THAT AND SAID IN THE AUDITOR'S OFFICE, WE WANT SOMEONE WHO JUST IS AN AUDITOR, HAS THAT EXPERIENCE, AND THAT HASN'T BEEN VINCE'S EXPERIENCE. HE'S KNOWN FOR A LOT OF GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THIS STATE. BEING AN AUDITOR ISN'T ONE OF THEM AND I THINK THEY LOOKED AT THAT OFFICE AND SAID WE WANT AN AUDITOR IN THE AUDITOR'S OFFICE, WE THINK DOUG HOFFER WILL DO A GOOD JOB.

>> ONE OF THE ISSUES THAT CAME BACK FROM THE ELECTION IS THAT VERMONT HAS ELECTED A FULL SLATE OF FEMALE CANDIDATES TO THEIR HIGHEST OFFICE, THE FIRST TIME THE STATE HAS EVER DONE THAT IN THE HISTORY OF THE COUNTRY. VERMONT HAS ONE WOMAN ELECTED STATEWIDE, BETH PEARCE AND YOU WORKED HARD TO HELP HER GET ELECTED. WHY DO YOU THINK MORE WOMEN AREN'T IN THOSE HIGH POSITIONS?

>> I THINK IT'S -- WE'RE NOT CULTIVATING ENOUGH WOMEN IN POLITICS ACROSS THE BOARD, AND PARTICULARLY NOT IN LEADERSHIP ROLES. AND I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT VERMONT NEEDS TO, ALL OF US, PARTICULARLY THE MEN THAT ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING THE -- WE'VE NEVER SENT A WOMAN TO CONGRESS IN VERMONT. THAT'S EXTRAORDINARY IN THIS STATE. WE'VE HAD ONE WOMAN GOVERNOR. WHEN IT GETS TO THE -- WE HAVE NEVER HAD A WOMAN PRESIDENT PRO TEM OF THE SENATE.

>> TWO FEEK JERS OF THE HOUSE.

>> TWO SPEAKERS OF THE HOUSE. WE NEED TO ENCOURAGE-MILE-AN-HOUR OF MORE OF OUR DAUGHTERS -- ENCOURAGE MORE OF OUR DAUGHTERS, MORE YOUNG WOMEN TO GET INTO ELECTED OFFICE. I THINK IT'S A GREAT THAT MAGGIE HAS BEEN ELECTED, I WENT OVER AND CAMPAIGNED FOR HER. BOTH OF THE U.S. SENATOR ARE WOMEN, EVERYONE THEY'RE SENDING TO WASHINGTON AND THE GOVERNOR IS A WOMAN, THAT'S A GREAT THING FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE AND IT'S SOMETHING I THINK WE'VE GOT TO TWO, ON HERE IN VERMONT.

>> SO AGAIN, WHY DO YOU THINK VERMONT IS CONSIDERED A MORE LIBERAL STATE THAN NEW HAMPSHIRE, ONE OF THE MOST LIBERAL STATES IN THE COUNTRY, AND WHY DO YOU THINK IT IS THAT THERE HASN'T BEEN MORE WOMEN IN STATEWIDE ELECTED OFFICE?

>> I THINK THE MAIN REASON PROBABLY IS THAT OUR VERMONT DOESN'T TEND TO THROW OUT INCUMBENTS AND WE HIKE TO SEE OUR CONGRESS PEOPLE GO TO WASHINGTON AND STAY THERE, AND LOOK AT THE RECORD, GEORGE AIKEN, ONE OF THE BEST U SENATORS WE'VE HAD, CERTAINLY THE BEST GOVERNOR, SERVED FOR A LONG, LONG TIME IN WASHINGTON. PATRICK LAHEY, ELECTED AT 36 YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN THERE FOR MANY, MANY TERMS, EIGHT TERMS, I BELIEVE NOW, AND THEREFORE, YOU KNOW, HE CAN GET THINGS DONE IN WASHINGTON BECAUSE OF HIS SENIORITY. BERNIE SANDERS --

>> YOU THINK THAT'S SOMETHING THAT THE STATE HAS TO WORK ON. HOW DO YOU THINK YOU CHANGE IT? THOUGH OUT INCUMBENTS?

>> I'M NOT ARGUING THAT, BUT WHEN WE GET CHANGE, IT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE HAVE WOMEN IN THE HOUSE AND SENATE AND LEADERSHIP ROLES SO THEY CAN RUN FOR THE STATEWIDE OFFICES WHEN THEY OPEN UP.

>> AS YOU KNOW, BETH PEARCE HAS BEEN VERY CLEAR, TOLD US THAT HER ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO BE TREASURER, HAS NO AMBITIONS FOR HIGHER OFFICE. YOU'VE BEEN ASKED THIS BEFORE, BUT GEK CASS WAS A YOUNG WOMAN IN HER 30s, RUNNING FOR LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR JEST REPUBLICAN PHIL SCOTT, SHE WAS DEFEAT THE HANDILY BY PHIL SCOTT. WHY NOT BE MORE ACTIVE IN HER CAMPAIGN? AND YOUR ANSWER TO THIS HAS SORT OF BEEN, WELL, SHE DIDN'T ASK ME. DO YOU THINK HER CAMPAIGN MADE A MISTAKE NOT ASKING YOU TO BE MORE INVOLVED IN HER CAMPAIGN LIKE YOU WERE IN BETH PEARCE? WOULD THAT HAVE HELPED HER?

>> IN THE CASE OF CASS'S CAMPAIGN, I THINK SHE RAN AN INCREDIBLY DISTINGUISHED CAMPAIGN. SHE WAS ARTICULATE. YOU LISTEN TO HER IN DEBATES, YOU KNOW THAT SHE'S GOT A NEGLIGENT AND -- GOT A MESSAGE AND GOT A FUTURE.

>> BUT LOOKING AT THE RESULTS, IT WAS A MESSAGE THAT VERMONTERS DIDN'T AGREE WITH IN THE GLEEND THAT'S TRUE, BUT YOU'RE ALSO TRYING TO DEFEAT AN INCUMBENT DOING A GOOD JOB. WE KNOW ITS TOUGH TO DEFEAT INCUMBENTS IN VERMONT. HAVING SAID THAT, I THINK CASS IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A WOMAN IN VERMONT'S POLITICAL FUTURE WHO'S GOING TO GO PLACES. WHAT SHE PROVED IN THIS ELECTION IS SHE HAS A FUTURE, SHE IS BRIGHT, ARTICULATE, CARES DEEPLY, AND I THINK IT WAS A GOOD CAMPAIGN FOR HER AS A FIRST CAMPAIGN. IN TERMS OF PHIL, PHIL IS A MEMBER OF MY CABINET. I WAS THE FIRST GOVERNOR FROM THE OPPOSITE PARTY TO HAVE THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR JOIN THEM IN THEIR CABINET. HE'S BEEN INVALUABLE TO ME. HE'S BEEN VERY, VERY HELPFUL AS WE FOUGHT STORMS, FACED CHALLENGES. I DON'T CARE WHAT PARTY YOU'RE FROM, I CARE WHAT YOU CONTRIBUTE. PHIL DOES AND I WANTED TO SEE HIM CONTINUE TO SERVE AND I WAS HAPPY WITH EITHER CASS OR PHIL.

>> WE'RE GOING TO TAKE A BRIEF BREAK AND CONTINUE OUR CONVERSATION WITH GOVERNOR PETER SHUMLIN, ALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL

>>> WELCOME BACK. WE'RE TALKING TO GOVERNOR PETER SHUMLIN. HE HAS JUST WON HIS SECOND TERM TO THE STATE'S HIGHEST OFFICE. GOVERNOR SHUMLIN, THANKS FOR BEING HERE.

>> GREAT TO BE WITH YOU.

>> HOW MUCH LONGER DO YOU MAN ON BEING GOVERNOR? I KNOW YOU'RE FOCUSED ON THE NASHLG STAGE SOME AS WELL NOW.

>> YOU KNOW, I'LL BE GOVERNOR FOR AS LONG AS VERMONTERS THINK IT'S RIGHT TO HAVE ME AS GOVERNOR. WE'RE MAKING REAL PROGRESS. I AM PROUD OF WHAT WE'VE GOTTEN DONE IN THE FAST TWO YEARS. WHEN I CAME O WE WERE COMING OUT OF THE WORST RECESSION IN NORTHWESTERN HISTORY AND I KNEW THAT MY JOB WAS TO TRY TO DO TWO THINGS. ONE, GROW JOBS, AND A SECOND, GROW INCOMES. MAKE SURE THAT VERMONTERS WERE WORKING ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE JOBS, SAW THEIR INCOMES GO UP BECAUSE FOR TEN YEARS, INCOMES IN VERMONT HAD BEEN PRETTY MUCH STAGNANT. WE KNOW THAT BILLS HAVE GONE UP. WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS. NOW, BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING MISSION ACCOMPLISHED BECAUSE WE HAVE A LOT MORE WORK TO DO, THERE'S STILL A LOT OF PEOPLE HURTING, BUT FACT OF THE MATTER IS VERMONT NOW HAS THE SIXTH LOWEST UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN AMERICA. WE'VE CREATED MORE GREEN, CLEAN, HIGH-TECH JOBS PER CAPITA THAN ANY OTHER STATE IN THE COUNTRY AND THE NUMBER I'M MOST EXCITED ABOUT IS THIS SIMPLE FACT THAT IN 2011, VERMONT WAS THE ONLY STATE IN THE COUNTRY THAT SAW INCOME GRET. THERE WAS ONLY 4%, BUT THAT'S 4% BETTER THAN THE REST OF AMERICA, SO I SAY BY BEING THE EDUCATION STATE, GETTING VERMONT CONNECTED TO HIGH-SPEED INTERNET ACCESS, WHICH I PROMISE TO DO BY THE END OF 2013 AND WE'RE GOING TO DELIVER ON THE PROMISE, ENSURING WE HAVE AN AFFORDABLE, SENSIBLE, SINGLE FAIR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM WHERE WE CONTAIN COSTS AND PROVIDE UNIVERSAL ACCESS AND ENSURE WE CONTINUE TO GROW RENEWABLES, GIVE OUR KIDS A BRIGHTER FUTURE GOING FORWARD, THAT'S GOING TO BE GREAT FOR STRT AND WE CAN CONTINUE TO MAKE PROGRESS, SO I WILL STAY ON AS LONG AS VERMONTERS FEEL WE'RE MAKING REAL PROGRESS.

>> SENATOR LAHEY ON ELECTION NIGHT TOLD ONE OF OUR RORNERS THAT HE PLANS TO RUN TO RE-ELECTION --

>> I WAS HAPPY TO HEAR THAT.

>> DO YOU PLAN TO RUN FOR RE-ELECTION?

>> I'LL TAKE IT IN TWO-YEAR SEGMENTS. I'LL SAY THIS. SENATOR LAHEY, WE WANT TO KEEP HIM IN WASHINGTON AS LONG AS WE CAN. HE'S NOW THE MOST SENIOR MEMBER IN THE UNITED STATES SENATE. IF YOU WANT TO GET SOMETHING DONE IN THE UNITED STATES SENATE, CALL PAT LAHEY. WITH A GOVERNOR, IT'S DIFFERENT. YOU COME IN, ASSEMBLE A TEAM, WORK 24/7, AND MY MOM SAYS I EARNED THESE BAGS UNDER MY EYES, WE TEND TO HAVE DIFFERENT TERMS, BUT WE DON'T HANG AROUND FOR A LIFETIME. WE COME IN AND GET THE JOB DONE AND GET OUT OF THE WAY. THAT'S WHAT I'LL DO.

>> WHY ARE YOU RUNNING FOR A LEADERSHIP ROLE IN THE DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS ASSOCIATION.

>> VERMONT HAS BEEN, FOR A TINY STATE, HAS DISTINGUISHED ITSELF, BY HAVING THEIR GOVERNORS BE CHOSEN BY THEIR PEERS TO LEAD GOVERNORS ASSOCIATIONS. HOWARD DEAN WAS HEAD OF THE DJA, ALSO THE NJA. WE HAVE A TRADITION OF DOING THAT AND IT'S INTERESTING THAT MY DEMOCRATIC COLLEAGUES HAVE SUGGESTED TO ME THAT I SHOULD RUN FOR CHAIR OF THE DJA.

>> THAT'S THE DEMOCRATS GOVERNORS ASSOCIATION.

>> EXACTLY.

>> HOW WILL THAT BENEFIT VERMONT? THAT REALLY IS SEEN AS MORE OF A POLITICAL ORGANIZATION VERSUS THE NATIONAL GOVERNORS ASSOCIATION, WHICH IS ALL THE GOVERNORS. HOW WILL IT BENEFIT VERMONTERS TO HAVE YOU IN THAT POSITION THAT'S SEEN AS SO POLITICAL AND AS YOU KNOW, THE NATIONAL STAGE IS VERY POLITICALLY CHARGED RIGHT NOW GLILE TELL YOU BASED ON MY TWO-YEAR EXPERIENCE, I GET MORE POLICY IDEAS FROM THE DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS ASSOCIATION THAN I DO FROM THE NATIONAL GOVERNORS ASSOCIATION.

>> LIKE WHAT? GIVE US ONE THAT HAS WORKED HERE IN VERMONT.

>> I HAVE FOUND THAT THE COLLABORATION ON ENERGY HAS COME OUT FROM THE DGA PRIMARILY, WORKING TOGETHER WITH GOVERNORS AND RIGHT NOW WE'RE WORKING IN THE NORTHEAST, WE HAVE THE DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS IN THE NORTHEAST PRIMARILY, BUT WORKING TOGETHER ON A PLAN, WORKING WITH HYDRO QUEBEC TO EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITIES OF BUYING SIGNIFICANT POWER AS A BLOCK INSTEAD OF HAVING US MAKE INDIVIDUAL ENERGY DEALS WITH HYDRO OR WITH THE EXPANSION THAT'S HAPPENING IN NEW FOUND LAND AND LAND BRA -- LABRADOR RIGHT NOW. THAT'S GREAT FOR VERMONT BECAUSE IT MEANS LOW RATES, RENEWABLE. IF WE CAN BUY IN A BLOCK INSTEAD OF INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTS, WE'RE A WINNER IN THE NORTHEAST. THOSE CONVERSATIONS HAVE COME OUT OF THE DGA, NOT THE NGA. ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS TECHNOLOGY. AS YOU KNOW, WE HAD HUGE CHALLENGES WITH TECHNOLOGY FOR GOVERNMENT, DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES WAS A GREAT EXAMPLE WHERE BEFORE I WAS GOVERNOR, THE STATE ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT WITH ONE OF THE PROVIDERS, SPENT ALL KINDS OF MONEY, OTHER STATES DID THE SAME THING AND NOBODY GOT THEIR MONIES WORTH. SO WORKING TOGETHER ON WAYS THAT WE CAN WORK AS A BLOC TO GET BETTER TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS FOR STATE GOVERNMENT AND MAKE IT MORE EFFICIENT, THOSE CONVERSATIONS WITH THE TECH LEADERS FROM ACROSS THE COUNTRY ARE COMING OUT OF THE DGA, NOT THE NGA. WHAT'S HAPPENED WITH THE NGA, AND I DON'T WANT TO CRITICIZE BECAUSE THERE'S REALLY BENEFIT THERE, BUT WHAT'S HAPPENED IS LIKE CONGRESS, IT'S BECOME PRETTY POLITICAL. THE DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS COULDN'T AGREE ON HEALTHCARE, SO THE NGA COULDN'T GET ANYTHING DONE ON HEALTHCARE. VERY LITTLE HAD BEEN HAPPENING THERE FROM A POLICY PERSPECTIVE. MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT THE POLICY STUFF, THE FOOD FOR GREAT IDEAS IS COMING FROM THE DGA AND THIS NOTION THAT IT'S A POLITICAL ORGANIZATION, YES, IT'S THERE TO ELECT DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS, BUT REALLY THERE ONCE YOU HAVE DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS TO HELP THEM MAKE THE POLICY CHOICES COLLABORATIVELY THAT WILL HELP ALL THE STATES. THAT'S WHY I'M EXCITED ABOUT CHAIRING IT IF I HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF DOING SO.

>> WHEN WE GET BACK IN JANUARY, YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH A DEMOCRATIC LEGISLATURE THAT HAS EVEN MORE DEMOCRATS AFTER THE ELECTION. WHAT CHALLENGES DOES THAT POSE FOR YOU AS A GOVERNOR?

>> WELL, THE CHALLENGE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE TEAM FROM -- FOCUSED ON THE MISSION, AND HERE'S THE MISSION. THIS IS GOING TO BE A PRETTY SIMPLE SESSION, I THINK.

>> YOU MEAN FOCUSED ON THE MISSION, JUST THAT IT'S HARDER NOW BECAUSE AS YOU KNOW, THE HOUSE SPEAKER WHO WORKED WITH YOU CLOSELY WHEN YOU WERE SENATE PRESIDENT PRO TEM IS SEEN AS A MORE MODERATE DEMOCRAT, BUT HE HAS A LARGE CAUCUS NOW OF DEMOCRATS WITH A LOT OF LIBERALS WHO REALLY HAVE BEEN CHOMPING AT THE BIT TO PASS LEGISLATURE AND GO FURTHER. HE'S HELD THEM BACK AT BAY AND WE'RE HEARING NOW HE'S GOING TO GO BACK OF THINGS HE'S BEEN HOLDING UP, THINGS LIKE DECRIMINALIZATION OF SMALL AMOUNTS MARIJUANA. IS THAT YOUR CONCERN?

>> WE NEED TO STAY FOCUSED AND HAVE A DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS. THERE'S ALL KINDS OF PARTY AFFILIATION, BUT WHAT MATTER IS WE HAVE TO BALANCE A BUDGET. WE HAVE LESS REVENUES THAN WE'VE HAD. WE'RE GOING TO BE 50, $60 MILLION IN THE HOLE. WE HAVE TO DO THAT THE OLD-FASHIONED WHY BY MAKING CUTS WITHOUT RAISING TAXES. ITS NOT THAT OUR TAXES ARE NOT HIGH ENOUGH, IT IS THAT THEY ARE TOO HIGH. WE'RE GOING TO GO IN WITH A DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR AND ONCE AGAIN, I'M GOING TO BE SAYING WE'RE GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS THE SMART WAY WITHOUT TAXING VERMONTERS. THAT SHOWS THAT WE HAVE THE FISCAL DISCIPLINE TO DO THE OTHER THINGS WE HAVE TO DO TO CREATE A BETTER FUTURE AND TO REDUCE COSTS IN THE FUTURE FOR BOTH BUSINESS AND FAMILIES. WHAT ARE THEY? WE HAVE TO STAY FOCUSED ON GETTING HEALTHCARE RIGHT. HEALTHCARE COSTS, THE RISING COST OF HEALTHCARE IS GOING TO BANKRUPT SMALL BUSINESS AND BANKRUPT THE MIDDLE CLASS IN VERMONT. SECOND, I REALLY WANT TO SEE US MAKE MORE PROGRESS ON INNOVATION TO EDUCATION. WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH -- WITH ALL THE GOOD WORK THAT VERMONT HAS DONE WITH FUNDING EDUCATION IN AN EQUITABLE WAY, WE HAVEN'T MOVED THE NEEDLE ONE BIT IN TERMS OF MOVING FIRST GENERATION KIDS BEYOND HIGH SCHOOL. WHAT'S THAT MEAN IN PLAIN ENGLISH? WE'RE FAILING AT MOVING ENOUGH POOR KIDS BEYOND HIGH SCHOOL AND THAT MEANS FOR THEM THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A NINE OR TEN-DOLLAR-A-HOUR JOB AND A 28, 34, $40 JOB IF YOU'RE IN NFRG OR GETTING THROUGH COLLEGE AND MOVING INTO HIGHER INCOME.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT HEALTHCARE, SOMETHING YOU MENTIONED. YOUR ADMINISTRATION RECENTLY ANNOUNCED THAT YOU'RE NOW GOING TO DELAY LETTING VERMONTERS KNOW HOW MUCH THE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM WILL COST AND HOW MUCH -- WHERE THAT MONEY IS GOING TO COME FROM. WHEN WILL VERMONTERS LEARN THE COST OF ITS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM AND HOW YEAR GOING TO PAY FOR IT IT?

>> LETS BE CLEAR. FIRST OF ALL, I HAVEN'T ANNOUNCED A DELAY TO ANYTHING.

>> I BELIEVE YOUR ADMINISTRATION SECRETARY SAID INSTEAD OF ANNOUNCING A PLAN THIS SESSION, HE'S GOING TO WAIT.

>> BUT THAT DELAY AS RECOGNITION THAT THE FEDERAL BILL DOESN'T ALLOW US WHAT WE WANT TO DO UNTIL 2017 AND WITHOUT THE CHANGE IN CONGRESS THAT WE WERE HOPING, FOR WE DON'T EXPECT TO GET A WAIVER THAT WE WISH WE COULD GET. ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT THE DELAY IS BOWING IMPOSED TO US BY THE FEDERAL BILL. LET'S TALK ABOUT HEALTHCARE. THERE'S TWO THEMES TO THE HEALTHCARE INITIATIVE. THE FIRST IS WHAT WAS PASSED BY CONGRESS AND PRESIDENT OBAMA, COMMONLY AULD OBAMACARE, WHICH I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH, BUT IT'S A HUGE HELP TO VERMONT. THAT GOES INTO EFFECT IN 2014. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? IT MEANS YOU CAN GO TO A COMPUTER SCREEN, A WEBSITE WITH A CHANGE THERE THO SHOWS YOU EVERY SINGLE OPTION AVAILABLE AS AN INDIVIDUAL OR IF YOU'RE RUNNING A BUSINESS FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES. IT WILL ALSO GIVE US ABOUT $400 MILLION BY OUR ESTIMATES IN FEDERAL MONEY TO HELP SUBSIDIZE INSURANCE FOR VERMONTERS IF THEY'RE STRUGGLING TO PAY FOR IT NOW OR BUSINESSES STRUGGLING TO PAY FOR IT. LET'S BE SPECIFIC. YOU MAKE $46,000 A YEAR OR LESS AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU WILL QUALIFY FOR TA SUBSIDY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE. IF YOU MAKE $92,000 OR LESS FOR A FAMILY OF FOUR, YOU QUALIFY FOR A SUBSIDY.

>> THIS IS THE HEALTHCARE EXCHANGE WHICH IS A CENTRAL GSH AS YOU SAID, A FEDERAL MANDATE. EVERY STATE HAS TO DO THIS, BUT AS YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE PUSHED AND DEMOCRATS HAVE AGREED TO MOVE FORWARD TOWARD A SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM IN 2017. WHEN WILL VERMONTERS LEARN WHAT THAT PLAN THAT GOES BEYOND OBAMACARE WILL COST?

>> AS SOON AS THE GREEN MOUNTAIN HEALTHCARE BOARD DEVELOPS A DELIVERY SYSTEM WHERE THE HOSPITALS AND OUR PROVIDERS, THEY CAN SAY, LISTEN, THIS IS WHAT YOU WOULD BE SPENDING ON HEALTHCARE, THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL SAVE UNDER OUR DELIVERY SYSTEM, AND THIS IS WHAT IT'S GOING TO COST. THEN WE WILL BE ABLE TO GO FORWARD AND SAY, GREAT, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. THEY DELIVERED A SYSTEM THAT PROVIDES UNIVERSAL ACCESS, SPENDS LESS MONEY ON HEALTHCARE FOR BETTER OUTCOMES, KEEPING US HEALTHIER AND INCLUDES EVERYBODY. THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE TRYING TO DO AND FRANKLY OUR HOSPITALS AND DOCTORS ARE WORKING WITH THEM TO TRY TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN BECAUSE THEY KNOW OUR CURRENT SYSTEM ISN'T SUSTAINABLE.

>> WHAT YEAR WILL BE THAT?

>> IT CAN'T GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL 2017, SO WE'LL SPEND THE NEXT TWO YEARS WHILE THEY'RE DEVELOPING THAT SYSTEM, HAVING A VERY TRANSPARENT DISCUSSION WITH VERMONTERS ABOUT HOW WE BEST MOVE FROM A PREMIUM-BASED SYSTEM TO ONE WHERE WE PAY FOR IT WITH BROAD-BASED DOLLARS. RAISED ON ALL OF US, EVERYONE PAYS THEIR FAIR SHARE. WE DON'T NEED TO VOTE ON IT IN THE NEXT TWO YEARS, WE HAVE PLENTY OF TIME, BUT I WANT TO SEE THAT SYSTEM PUT IN EFFECT FOR 2017, 2016 IF WE CAN GET A WAIVER, BUT I DON'T THINK WE CAN. THAT MEANS YOU WILL SEE A VOTE ON THAT NOT IN THIS BIENNIUM, BUT IN THE NEXT.

>> SO YOU'RE RE-ELECTED AGAIN AND RUN AGAIN, WHEN DO YOU EXPECT TO DELIVER THAT PLAN WITH A PRICE TAG AND AS YOU SAID, WHAT THE BROAD-BASED FUNDING SOURCE WILL BE?

>> WE'LL CONTINUE TO DESIGN THE DELIVERY SYSTEM AND WORK TOGETHER WITH VERMONTERS, ANYONE WHO NT WASES TO PARTICIPATE ON THE BEST WAY TO MOVE TO A FUNDING SYSTEM THAT MAKES MORE SENSE AND THE VOTE WOULD HAPPEN IN THE NEXT BIENNIUM. SO 2014, NOT 2015 -- I'M SORRY, 2015, 2016.

>> I REMEMBER AFTER YOU WERE FIRST ELECTED TO GOVERNOR, YOU SAID IT TOOK A LOT OF ADJUSTING. YOU HAD A SECURITY DETAIL FOLLOWING YOU, HAD TO GIVE UP SOME PRIVACY, WHICH I KNOW WAS HARD FOR YOU. HOW WAS IT THIS TIME BEING RE-ELECTED? IS THERE NO JI. OR ARE YOU STILL ADJUSTING?

>> NO, I'M ADJUSTED. I GOT TO TELL YOU, IT TOOK A FEW MONTHS TO GET USED TO HAVING SECURITY FOLKS WITH YOU ALL THE TIME AND LIVING A BIT MORE IN A FISH BOWL THAN YOU ARE AS A PRIVATE CITIZEN, BUT I LOVE THIS JOB. IT'S AN EXTRAORDINARY PRIVILEGE TO SERVE AS GOVERNOR OF VERMONT. I KNOW POLITICIANS ALWAYS SAY THAT, BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS IS THE BEST ELECTED JOB IN AMERICA BECAUSE YOU CAN DO THINGS IN VERMONT THAT YOU CAN'T GET DONE IN OTHER STATES. IN SO MANY STATES, THE BIPARTISAN SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK, THERE'S SO MUCH BICKERING AND THEY DON'T HAVE THE COURAGE TO MAKE REAL CHANGE AND I SAY VERMONT CAN BE ONE OF THE PLACES WHERE WE GET LK RIGHT, WE GET ENERGY POLICY RIGHT, CREATE JOBS AND ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES BECAUSE THE CHOICES GOVERNMENT IS MAKING, NOT DESPITE THEM. THE OTHER STATE TALK ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN AND THEY TALK IN FEAR LIKE IF WE DID THIS, WOULD IT MEAN? MY APPROACH IS WE HAVE TO DO THESE THINGS BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT WE CAN AND MUST DO TO HAVE A BETTER ECONOMIC FUTURE FOR OUR KIDS. SO ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS, THE SACRIFICES THAT YOU MAKE AS AN INDIVIDUAL FOR THIS JOB ARE WELL WORTH IT BECAUSE YOU CAN GET GREAT THINGS DONE FOR THE STATE YOU LOVE.

>> WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU MADE IN THE FIRST TERM WAS?

>> I THINK THE BIGGEST MISTAKE, GOD, I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT. I DON'T KNOW. I'VE GOT TO TELL YOU, I'VE GOT AN EXTRAORDINARY TEAM AND I TELL YOU --

>> THEY KEEP YOU FROM MAKING MISTAKES?

>> THEY KEEP ME FROM BEING -- MAKING REALLY BAD MISTAKES, SO FAR. IT'S NOT THAT THERE HAVEN'T BEEN LITTLE ONES, BUT LOOK AT THE CHALLENGES WE HAD. TERRIBLE RECESSION, TRYING TO LAUNCH CONNECTIVITY TO VERMONT THAT WE HAVEN'T HAD. HAVING THE FIRST SENSIBLE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM, HUGE CHALLENGE BUT WE'RE GOING TO GET IT DONE. LIFTING THE CAP ON HIGHER EDUCATION, MAKING REAL PROGRESS THERE. JUST THIS WEEK, THE NEW PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY SAYS WE'RE GOING TO KEEP TUITION INCREASES TO LESS THAN 3% AND I'M GOING TO SEE TO IT THAT WE FIND WAYS WITH THE LEGISLATURE THIS SESSION TO HAVE PROGRAM HONORS TO REDUCE INCREASES TO EVEN LESS THAN 3%. IN TERMS OF ENERGY, WE'RE BUILDING AND HARNESSING THE WIND. WE'LL BE BUILDING OUT SOLAR IN THE STATE, WE'RE BUILDING SMALL HYDRO FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS, SEEING BIOMASS MOVE FORWARD, COW POWER AND BEING SMART ABOUT ENERGY EFFICIENCY, SO ALL I CAN SAY IS MY AGENDA IS FULL. WE HAVE A LOT TO DO AND WE NEED A REALLY SMART TEAM TO DO IT AND I THINK I HAVE THAT TEAM.

>> LET ME ASK IT DIFFERENTLY. WHAT IS SOMETHING MAYBE YOU WISH THAT YOU KNOW NOW YOU WOULD TELL GOVERNOR ELECT PETER SHUMLIN IN HIS FIRST TERM TWO YEARS AGO?

>> I THINK I PROBABLY WOULD TELL HIM DON'T EXPECT THE WHEEFLS GOVERNMENT TO MOVE AS -- WHEELS OF GOVERNMENT TO MOVE AS FAST AS THE PRIVATE SECTOR. I'M A PRIVATE SECTOR GUY, A BUSINESS PERSON. WHEN YOU SIT DOWN AND CREATE AN IDEA WITH YOUR TEAM, YOU EXECUTE IT AND THREE OR FOUR WEEKS LATER, YOU CHECK IN AND SAY HOW'S IT GOING, WHAT ARE WE DOING WELL, NOT WELL, MOVE IT FASTER. IN GOVERNMENT, THINGS MOVE MUCH MORE SLOWLY AND I'D SAY BE PATIENT. MAYBE THAT'S WHAT I'D TELL PETER SHUMLIN.

>> GOV. SHUMLIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. I'M SURE THE GOVERNOR WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU IN MONTPELIER. YOU CAN REACH THE STAFF AT THE OFFICE NUMBER. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.

>> THANKS FOR HAVING FLEE.

>> THANK YOU AT HOME FOR WATCHING. HAVE A

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.