Thanksgiving is one of the top three deadliest days of the year for pets, along with Christmas and the Fourth of July.
Veterinarians say that's because our four-legged friends are exposed to foods and decorations that aren't around the rest of the year. Tinsel and alcohol can be extremely toxic. Chocolate is hazardous, too. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. Baking chocolate is the most deadly.
If your animal does ingest something it's not supposed to, vets says it's best to use a turkey baster full of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. It just may save your pet's life.
"The quicker you get that stuff out of there, the better they're going to be. And that's generally what they'll do at the emergency clinic, but we have different drugs than hydrogen peroxide that'll do that. It's a little quicker," said Dr. John Eustis of Orchard Veterinary Hospital.
As for those poinsettias-- don't worry. Vets say it's a myth that the holiday plants are harmful to your pets.