NH hunter brings knife to antler fight - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

NH hunter brings knife to antler fight

CORNISH, N.H. -

Everett Gray of Cornish, N.H., hobbles around his house where trophy deer kills are mounted on his wall.  But last week Gray says it was a deer that almost killed him.

"And it got down to, you know, you killed me, now I am going to get you," Gray said.

On Thursday the life-long hunter was in the woods right in front of his house and it wasn't long before he spotted an eight-point buck.  "Pretty quick I hear a noise off to my right and there was the deer, 20 yards from me, just coming right up the hill with his nose down on the ground and I saw the rack and I aim alright, well I guess I get a shot," he said.

Gray took the shot hitting the animal in the neck.  After tracking it for a bit, he went in for the final kill. "I set my riffle down and took out my knife and I am walking up to the deer and it bounds up off the ground, whips its head, hooks me and just picks me up and drives me into the ground," he said.

A bandage covers the wounds where the animal's antler gored Gray's gut.  A battle -- man versus beast -- ensued.  "I'm laying there under the deer and it is just running its head back and forth and I am trying like hell to pull that antler out of my gut and I finally got it up," he said.

Gray eventually won the fight, but he was seriously injured  and ended up hospitalized.  "I was scared to death.  I really thought that when I was lying under that deer, trying to wrench its horn out of me. I thought it was going to kill me," he said.

Gray is having the animal mounted -- including the rack -- he'll never forget. The deer meat is being processed. And for Gray, it will be his last buck. "I got my first deer at 47 and I got my last deer at 57," he said.

Hinesburg man in custody after alleged shooting

Friday, April 25 2014 4:04 AM EDT2014-04-25 08:04:41 GMT
    Police say a 71-year-old man is in custody accused of shooting a female relative in the hand and chest around 8:30 Thursday evening.The incident happened on Richmond Road. The Hinesburg police chief says the man was arrested without incident. He and the victim are long time residents of Hinesburg. Detectives are still investigating what sparked the shooting. But the chief says neither the victim nor the shooter have had any interactions with police before this. The woman was taken to Fletche...More >>

Springfield police search for armed robber

Friday, April 25 2014 12:00 AM EDT2014-04-25 04:00:49 GMT
    Springfield Police need your help to find an armed robber. They say yesterday a white man carrying a semi-automatic handgun held-up the Jenny Wren Café on Main Street. The suspect is described as 19-29 with a slight build and no taller than 5-foot-9.Police say he had a dark buzz cut, acne, and was wearing a red Ecko hooded sweatshirt.If you have any information on the robbery call Springfield Police.More >>

Arlington man facing an animal cruelty

Friday, April 25 2014 12:03 AM EDT2014-04-25 04:03:45 GMT
    An Arlington man is facing an animal cruelty charge after police say they found a dead dog on this property.It happened at 2760 VT Route 313. Troopers were at Rick Thompson's home investigating a burglary involving a wood burning stove when they discovered the dog. Thompson told police the dog died from kennel cough but a vet later determined the dog had been starved to death. The 47-year-old is due in court next month.More >>

Senator Sanders pushes for better access to primary care

Friday, April 25 2014 12:06 AM EDT2014-04-25 04:06:48 GMT
    Senator Bernie Sanders is pushing for better access to primary care for patients in Vermont and across the country.More >>
    Senator Bernie Sanders is pushing for better access to primary care for patients in Vermont and across the country. More >>

Burlington School budget one step closer to re-vote

Friday, April 25 2014 12:09 AM EDT2014-04-25 04:09:20 GMT
    A new Burlington School Budget is one step closer to a re-vote in the Community.The Burlington School board voted in favor of a 67.4 million dollar budget. Dozens of parents and voters turned out Thursday night for public testimony on their thoughts and concerns on the new more expensive budget. A recent audit uncovered a 2.5 million dollar deficit forcing the board to slash about 2.5 million dollars in programming and staff. This new budget is 600-thousand dollars MORE than what was voted do...More >>

Robber hits the same bank twice?

Thursday, April 24 2014 7:01 PM EDT2014-04-24 23:01:18 GMT
    A security guard and bank manager at the People's United in St. Albans held a would-be robber until police arrived. And investigators think he is the same man who robbed the bank Monday.More >>

Man shot by Vt. cop faces charges

Thursday, April 24 2014 7:31 PM EDT2014-04-24 23:31:24 GMT
    A man shot by an officer inside the Bennington police station faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.More >>

Man charged in Vt. teacher killing wants confession tossed

Thursday, April 24 2014 2:29 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:29:39 GMT
    A Vermont man charged with killing a popular St. Johnsbury teacher is asking a judge to exclude from his upcoming trial a detailed confession he gave to police investigators.More >>