Holiday decorating safety tips - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Holiday decorating safety tips

Posted: Updated:
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. -

It's the time of year for decorating, light strings and extension cords, but that can all get dangerous if you are not taking the proper precautions.

Electricians say outdoor lights can get wet and cause shocks to run into your house, so they suggest you invest in GFI recepticals to protect yourself and your home from these charges.

They also recommend LED lights because they are more efficient and are safer to string together than traditional lights.

Master Electrician Kevin Thompson from Home Depot told us on the Channel 3 Morning News that it's also a good time to give your smoke alarms some attention.

"If you read the instructions it actually recommends that you vacuum them out twice a year," he says. "So when you change the batteries take your vacuum and vacuum them out really quick. That actually cleans the unit out and allows the sensor to work more efficiently."

Thompson also reminds people to make sure when they use extension cords, to inspect them before and after use, and not to run them underneath rugs. He says outdoor extension cords should be used outside to protect wires from the elements.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.