School is coming to a close for winter vacation and parents are looking to keep their kids busy while getting gifts together. How do you do both you ask? Homemade food gifts.
Whitney Emke is serving as the 4-H Afterschool Programs Coordinator for the University of Vermont Extension, offering after-school activities to schools and youth programs in Addison and surrounding counties. Food gifts are one of the things that kids can do with their parents. Watch the video for more.
Low-Fat Candy Cane Hot Chocolate Mix:
- 1/2 cup of low-fat powdered milk
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/4 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of crushed of candy cane
- 1/2 of miniature marshmallows
(All ingredients can be increased or decreased according to your taste)
1. Combine the powdered milk, cocoa powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl; mix it up really well.
2. Fill your jar with alternating layers of your cocoa powder and the crushed candy canes, topping it off with a layer of miniature marshmallows. (Want to leave a little bit of room at the top of jar, because you're going to attach directions to the jar that say to shake the jar up really well so as to evenly distribute the marshmallows and candy cane.)
3. Place the lid on the jar, then put your cut out piece of fabric on top of that, and then screw the ring into place.
4. Take some ribbon and make a nice bow, which you can attach the directions and gift tag onto. The directions should tell the person using the gift to shake the jar up really well before using, and then combine 1/3 cup of the cocoa powder with 1 cup of boiling water for every desired serving.
Wednesday, December 11 2013 4:46 PM EST2013-12-11 21:46:34 GMT
Police say they've caught the man wanted for three bank robberies in the Upper Valley. James Oberfeldt, 30, of Claremont, is currently jailed in Massachusetts on a drug charge. Police say he's been identifiedMore >>
Police say they've caught the man wanted for three bank robberies in the Upper Valley.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 12:27 PM EST2013-12-11 17:27:15 GMT
Two Plattsburgh State students are under arrest in connection with a brawl outside a fraternity house. It happened last month outside the Alpha Chi Rho (AXP) house on Brinkerhoff Street. Police say itMore >>
Two Plattsburgh State students are under arrest in connection with a brawl outside a fraternity house.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 9:45 AM EST2013-12-11 14:45:27 GMT
An upstate New York woman is recovering after she was attacked by a rabid bobcat. The 49-year-old woman said the bobcat pounced on her last Thursday when she was at the door of her Putnam home, whichMore >>
An upstate New York woman is recovering after she was attacked by a rabid bobcat.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 12:27 PM EST2013-12-11 17:27:47 GMT
Vermont business owners are coming together in support of legislation to reduce the amount of toxins found in consumer products. Organizations say they hope to introduce legislation called the VermontMore >>
Vermont business owners are coming together in support of legislation to reduce the amount of toxins found in consumer products.More >>