A house fire late Thursday night kept crews busy in Mooers Forks, N.Y.
Fire officials say the fire on Davison Road started by the furnace and then spread. The couple escaped uninjured and firefighters were able to rescue some pets.
They said an addition to the house, and heavy smoke, gave them some trouble.
"We didn't use that much water but we needed the manpower. Changed guys out quickly," says Mooers Fire Chief Raymond Phair. "The air was just too thick. The smoke didn't rise; it just stayed here, so guys were going through air like crazy and we had to swap them out."
Fire officials tell us about three-quarters of the home was damaged. The Red Cross is assisting the family.