A pair of house fires in our region last night -- the latest in a string of house fires in recent weeks -- most of them linked to home heating accidents.
No one was home when a fire in Sheldon started Thursday night. The home sustained severe damage and some family pets died. Fire crews said the severe cold caused their pumps to keep freezing up, making it tough to fight the fire.
In Belvidere a chimney fire spread to the roof of a home. Fire crews said the wind fueled the flames and their water supply was also slowed by the cold.