A grim discovery in a wooded area Tuesday behind Dominos Pizza in St. Albans Town-- a person was found dead in a makeshift shelter.
Franklin County State's Attorney Jim Hughes called the scene a sad accident.
"It looks like this person died from injuries in the fire-- and the fire is still smouldering," Hughes said.
Crews were called to the scene off North Main Street late Tuesday afternoon and were there for hours. The wooded area is known as a popular spot for homeless people to set up camp. It's not clear if anyone else was staying there when the fire started.
Investigators say there are no signs of foul play.
"Looks like it was started by accident either with a candle or a reading light type of thing," Hughes said.
Police have not released the person's name. An autopsy will be conducted Wednesday.