A trusted teacher who turned out to be a child molester died in jail Saturday. How he died remains a mystery. Bringing up his name in the town of Bradford Wednesday night made many people uneasy.
"If he had a heart attack or anything I'm not sorry for him. He went to jail for a reason and you have to do your time," said Candy Hazen.
Richard Foster worked at Bradford Elementary School for more than a decade when he did the unthinkable. The sixth grade teacher was convicted of sexually assaulting two students and using them to make porn at his Bradford home. Because of his criminal past, news of his death didn't upset Brandon Audet, one of Foster's former students.
"I'm not really too shocked. He was a sex offender so he deserved it in a way I guess," Audet said.
Foster was serving a 25 year sentence in federal prison when he died Saturday.
"It's an end to a sad chapter in Bradford's history," said Mark Johnson, who was chair of the local school board when Foster was initially charged. He says though it has been six years since Foster was locked up residents are still coming to terms with the notion that something so horrible happened to two innocent children in their small town.
"I don't know that you heal. You carry on. You care for the victims and I think the town has supported those folks," he said.
Johnson says though news of Foster's death brings finality to that chapter of town history, the story itself isn't easily forgotten.
"It was a lot of pain for the community; it's going to be a long time before people heal from that," Johnson said.
Channel 3 reached out to both local authorities and the FBI to find out how Foster died. No information was immediately available. A spokesperson for the FBI said she could neither confirm nor deny that there was a criminal investigation into Foster's death.
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:21 AM EST2014-03-08 15:21:27 GMT
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries. They were injured while fighting a at the Bennett Farm on Route 15 on the Johnson-Cambridge town line. The fire started in a shed around 7:30 FridayMore >>
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:42 GMT
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury. They immediately took to Facebook after hearing about this fire and started planning to collectMore >>
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:05 GMT
Reporter: "What are some of the most common burn injuries that we see with kids coming into the hospital?" Jim Esdon, Dartmouth Hitchcock Injury Prevention Center: "This time of year, the glass frontedMore >>
We've had another cold week that's left homeowners cranking the heat. But what does that mean for kids' safety?More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:19 AM EST2014-03-08 15:19:21 GMT
Armed with just two L rods, 87-year-old John Wayne Blassingame starts looking for water by asking yes or no questions. "Does it go past 20 feet, does it go past 30 feet, yah," he says. The rods crossingMore >>
A national organization based in Danville says it is providing resources to people in desperate need to find water.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 8:31 AM EST2014-03-08 13:31:36 GMT
The Governor is traveling to Rhode Island Saturday. His office says Governor Peter Shumlin will be at Brown University in Providence taking part in a forum with the Rhode Island Governor. While theMore >>
The Governor is traveling to Rhode Island Saturday. More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 8:17 AM EST2014-03-08 13:17:30 GMT
We have some ideas for your Saturday. IRISH FESTIVAL The 19th annual Burlington Irish Heritage Festival kicks off today. There is a lecture about the role of Irish immigrants in the Civil War at theMore >>
Friday, March 7 2014 7:28 PM EST2014-03-08 00:28:44 GMT
Williston Police say, the powder was from a generic prescription medication. They say, the man was from Burlington and had the paperwork in his pocket with his medicine and that's how it got on there. More >>
Williston Police say, the powder was from a generic prescription medication. They say, the man was from Burlington and had the paperwork in his pocket with his medicine and that's how it got on there.More >>