A tragic accident took the life of a Georgia, Vt., teen. He was poisoned by carbon monoxide.
Tuesday night the high school student was remembered.
"We're all here for Logan. Cause we miss him," explained family friend Nicole Paquette-Helms, "since he was a glint in his daddy's eyes."
Paquette-Helms baby-sat him when he was boy. She joined hundreds of other friends to honor him at a vigil in St. Albans Taylor Park Tuesday night.
"He was a good kid. A friend I've known since forever," reflected friend Dylan Hardy.
Logan was found slumped over the wheel of his car in the St. Albans Park and Ride Sunday, dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.
"There is no fault to be laid here on Logan or anyone else," explained Chief Gary Taylor, St. Albans Police Department.
Investigators found two leaks in the exhaust system on Logan's Volkswagen Jetta. One by the air intake valve caused exhaust to be sucked into the car when the heat was on, filling it with deadly carbon monoxide levels within 7-9 minutes.
"It developed some rust and some leakage in the exhaust system. Pretty common thing that happens in Vermont with the weather we experience," Taylor said.
Police say last week an officer spotted Logan at the same rest area reportedly feeling tired and nauseous. Logan knew he had car problems. Police say he had ordered a part for his exhaust. But no one suspected he was being poisoned.
Fire trucks honored the junior from Bellows Free Academy. Friends shared stories, offered shoulders to cry on, and promised never to forget.
"Cool to see how much of an impact he had on everybody's life and that so many people cared about him," said Hardy.
Paquette-Helms agreed, "This is a small town. So you have to figure that Logan knew a lot of people, and touched a lot of people."
Police say Logan had just been dropped off at his car and may have been letting it warm up when he died.
Wednesday, May 22 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-22 23:16:19 GMT
Jeremy Dodge doesn't want to leave his childhood home in East Montpelier. But his days on Foster Road are numbered. "It's my homestead," he said. "You know, I planned on dying here." That plan changedMore >>
A Vt. man about to lose his property at a tax sale sold it to Gov. Peter Shumlin, but now claims the state's leader took advantage of him. The governor says the allegations are misleading and he offered his neighbor a fair price.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 12:21 PM EDT2013-05-22 16:21:11 GMT
The U.S. Supreme Court will not hear a Vermont case about limiting search warrants in an attempt to protect privacy. The Chittenden County prosecutor's office and the Vermont attorney general appealedMore >>
The U.S. Supreme Court will not hear a Vermont case about limiting search warrants in an attempt to protect privacy.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 7:21 PM EDT2013-05-22 23:21:29 GMT
At this shop in the picturesque town of Woodstock, and for those who work in 140 pharmacies scattered throughout Vermont, the workload is about to increase. New requirements are set to take effect, mostMore >>
Lawmakers prescribed a host of changes to combat Vermont's growing problem with hard drugs. The safety measures will now mean longer wait times at the pharmacy.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 9:45 AM EDT2013-05-22 13:45:46 GMT
Sheriffs say a body found floating in the waters off the Florida Keys is that of a Vermonter. The Monroe County Sheriff's office says early Sunday morning, two people fishing off a bridge reported seeingMore >>
Sheriffs say a body found floating in the waters off the Florida Keys is that of a Vermonter.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 7:24 PM EDT2013-05-22 23:24:48 GMT
Vermont denied a license for a new health insurance company. The Vermont Health Co-op opened for business last fall. The nonprofit company was created to take part in the new health care exchange underMore >>
Vermont has denied a license for a new health insurance company.More >>