Vt. lye attack survivor gets face transplant - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Vt. lye attack survivor gets face transplant

Carmen Tarleton-File photo Carmen Tarleton-File photo
BOSTON -

It was nearly six years ago when Carmen Tarleton's life changed forever. Her estranged husband broke into her home, beat her with a baseball bat and doused the mother of two with industrial-strength lye.

"Her injuries were among the worst I've ever seen in my career," said Dr. Bohdan Pomahac of Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Pomahac has been treating Tarleton since that fateful day. Fifty-five surgeries later and Tarleton was still severely disfigured. She's been unable to turn her head, has only partial vision in one eye and complete blindness in the other. Doctors say she lived a life of constant pain. But her spirit has never died.

"She's tough. She'll do what needs to be done. She wants to live her life to the fullest," Pomahac said.

In 2011, Tarleton-- a former transplant nurse at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center-- and her team of doctors decided to pursue a full face transplant. She told WCAX News back then that the promise of once again being able to kiss her children and blink her eyes made the decision an easy one.

"And that gives me a lot of hope that I could really improve my quality of life...  And that is very inspiring to me," she said.

Earlier this month, after a 14-month wait, Tarleton became the fifth person in the country to ever undergo a face transplant. It took 15 hours and a team of 30 doctors. And while she's not completely out of the woods yet, doctors are cautiously calling the surgery a success, despite an early setback.

"We also had an episode of rejection that fortunately controlled and I would hope that she's entering the phase of healing and improvement," Pomahac said.

We spoke to Carmen Tarleton by phone Wednesday and she says her spirits are high. In a statement read by her sister Kesstan Blandin at the hospital, Tarleton told the world she's excited to start this new chapter of her life.

"I feel great appreciation and gratitude for the tremendous gift I've been given," Blandin read. "This greatly improves my quality of life and comfort level. My spirits are high I feel really good and happy for this momentous opportunity in my life. And I want to convey to the donor's family what a great gift they have given to me."

Doctors expect it will take up to six months for Tarleton to regain sensation in her face and motor function. A long journey toward an improved a quality of life for a woman who has defied the odds.

Tarleton has been speaking to groups about her life since the attack. She's also published a book. "Overcome: Burned, Blinded and Blessed" was released earlier this month.

On her blog, Tarleton wrote, "I could never have imagined the overwhelming feelings I encountered after my surgery. I could freely move my head from side to side without the usual scar discomfort I have felt for almost six years now. I cried with such a deep appreciation for the persons truly responsible for giving me this gift: this new physical freedom.

"I am so grateful for all that have been watching over me with such tenderness and loving care. I know how truly blessed I am, and will have such a nice reflection in the mirror to remind myself what selfless really is.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Related Stories:

Carmen Tarleton: It is going to be a great year

Carmen Tarleton shares survival story

Domestic abuse victim hopes to help others

Carmen Tarleton pens a story of strength

New Outlook for Lye Attack Victim

Rodgers Sentenced for Lye Attack

Lye Attack Survivor Battles Back

Carmen's Road to Recovery

Survivor of Brutal Attack Comes Home

Husband Accused of Burning Wife with Chemical

Vt. police treat toddler's death as 'suspicious'

Tuesday, July 22 2014 2:42 PM EDT2014-07-22 18:42:04 GMT
    A toddler died Tuesday morning under what police call suspicious circumstances.
    A toddler died Tuesday morning under what police call suspicious circumstances.

NH town hopes for answers after missing teen returns

Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:19 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:19:49 GMT
    Residents of a New Hampshire town who searched, prayed and held vigils for a 15-year-old girl who disappeared while on her way home from school nine months ago are relieved she's returned, but they want to know what...

Cabot man turns self in in St. Johnsbury shooting

Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:42 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:42:13 GMT
    Police say a Cabot man wanted on a charge of attempted murder in a drive-by shooting in St. Johnsbury has turned himself in.

Location set for Allen Prue trial

Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:53 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:53:55 GMT
    A final location has been determined for the trial of Allen Prue.
    A final location has been determined for the trial of Allen Prue.

3 arrested in burglary-shop-drug scheme

Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:22 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:22:03 GMT
    Vermont State Police have arrested three people stemming from numerous burglaries from homes and selling them to a consignment shop in exchange for drugs.
    Vermont State Police have charged three people in connection with burglaries at several homes in which the stolen items were swapped for drugs at a consignment shop.

Fire destroys Alburgh home

Tuesday, July 22 2014 2:22 PM EDT2014-07-22 18:22:25 GMT
    Fire tore through a home in Alburgh last night.Firefighters responded to a house fully engulfed in flames at 16 Wagner Point.

Air defense drill for 4 Northeastern states

Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:57:27 GMT
    The New York state Division of Military and Naval Affairs says a two fighter jets from a Massachusetts Air National Guard unit will be conducting an air defense exercise over parts of four Northeastern states.

Vt. sues Dollar Tree over tainted jewelry

Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:23 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:23:02 GMT
    The state of Vermont wants Dollar Tree stores to stop selling jewelry tainted with toxics.