Barre firefighters want to replace equipment potentially contaminated by asbestos, but the city says they don't know how they'd pay for it.
The concerns stem from the December 20, 2012, fire at the Houle Brothers Granite Plant in Barre. After the fire, city officials learned there was a significant amount of asbestos in the facility that likely rained down on firefighters.
The Times Argus reports the equipment has been cleaned and is still being used because the fire chief says they have no other option. They want to replace it, which would cost about $235,000.
But the city is looking at other options, including hiring a cleaning firm or taking legal action against the plant's insurance company to get them to pay for new equipment.