Chef Christine Frost from The Essex joins us to make a delicious winter soup.
Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound Kielbasa, Andouille or Linguica sausage, (any smoky spicy sausage you like) cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 pound dried white beans, soaked overnight and drained or 1 15 oz can (cannellini, great northern or navy beans)
1 quart chicken stock
16 oz of whole peeled canned tomatoes or whole fresh peeled tomatoes, broken up
3 medium yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 bunch kale, stemmed and torn into bite size pieces
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped, or ¼ teaspoon dry
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a heavy medium stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
2. Add the garlic and kale and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, potatoes and beans bring to a simmer.
4. Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper flakes, and black pepper.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the beans and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
6. Stir in the parsley, taste for seasoning.