Quantcast

Chimney fire at Burlington restaurant - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Chimney fire at Burlington restaurant

Posted: Updated:
BURLINGTON, Vt. -

Some tense moments at a popular Burlington restaurant Thursday afternoon.

Three-foot flames shot out of an external chimney at American Flatbread on St. Paul Street. Firefighters were on scene within minutes. The wood stove involved was not used for cooking.

"The fire was extinguished very quickly with a dry chemical fire extinguisher discharged in the oven itself, the wood stove, and then the convective current draws the dry chemical extinguishing agent up through the stack," Burlington City Fire Marshal Barry Simays said.

There was no damage to the restaurant or the offices above. The fire marshal has not determined the cause of the fire yet, but says it was accidental.

The owner said American Flatbread would reopen Thursday evening.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.