Fire at Vt. welcome center caused by heating unit - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Fire at Vt. welcome center caused by heating unit

Posted: Updated:

BENNINGTON, Vt. (AP) - A Vermont state official says repairs to a state welcome center being built in Bennington that caught fire on Friday will be covered by the contractor.

Vermont Buildings and General Services Commissioner Michael Obuchowski says a contractor's heating unit started the fire on the outside of the building.

The fire was quickly put out.

Obuchowski told the Bennington Banner on Monday that electrical, structural and cosmetic repairs will need to be made.

He says he hopes that the work won't delay the opening planned for mid-summer.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.