A South Burlington neighborhood was evacuated Tuesday afternoon due to a natural gas leak.
A construction crew working on stormwater improvements hit an unmarked Vermont Gas line on Hayes Avenue. After the line was shut off by Vermont Gas, the South Burlington Fire Department and gas company checked gas levels at homes in the area making sure it was safe for residents to head back into their homes.
"We had a pretty good wind blowing north, so it wasn't blowing into the development. So, the best thing was to let Vermont Gas shut it down and go from there," South Burlington Fire Capt. Gary Rounds said.