Compost sparks fire that destroys northern NY home - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Compost sparks fire that destroys northern NY home

Posted: Updated:

TUPPER LAKE, N.Y. (AP) - Firefighters in Tupper Lake say a compost pile near a deck spontaneously caught fire over the weekend, destroying a house.

Franklin County Fire Investigator John Bashaw tells the Adirondack Daily Enterprise the fire erupted Saturday morning.

Compost piles break down organic material such as grass clippings, leaves and vegetable matter to make garden fertilizer and mulch. Heat is generated by the decomposition process.

Bashaw says the material can ignite when it reaches a certain temperature and he recommends keeping the pile away from structures.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.