Trude Wright loves spending time at her summer camp in Milton with her grandchildren.
"The lake and the trees, the cedars and the Adirondacks across the lake," she said.
But something she can't enjoy right now is fresh drinking water from her spring.
"First time in 45 years we're not able to drink it," Wright said.
The spring she shares with neighbors has been contaminated with toxins, even after they treated it with bleach.
"The folks that maintain it cleaned the tanks, purged the lines. We did everything we're supposed to do according to the water authority and tested it again and it still came back funky," Wright said.
She and her neighbors think the near-constant rain this summer is to blame. They've sent samples to the Vermont Department of Health, which are consistently testing positive for both coliform and e.coli. That could make them sick.
"Usually gastrointestinal illness, things like stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting," said Sarah Vose, the toxicologist for the Vt. Department of Health.
Vose has seen an increase in concern in recent weeks.
"What we've seen is that small towns where there could be isolated flash flooding-- there are a lot of calls from the areas that may be flooded on that day," Vose said.
She says runoff into springs and standing water on top of well covers are just a few reasons many water supplies are unsafe to drink this summer.
"If there are any rivers or culverts that have changed patterns or come closer to a well, that could indicate some changes in the quality of the well water," Vose explained.
She says if you notice any sediment coming from your faucet or if the water has a funny smell don't drink it. Either boil it or switch to bottled water until you can get a test kit from the state.
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:21 AM EST2014-03-08 15:21:27 GMT
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries. They were injured while fighting a at the Bennett Farm on Route 15 on the Johnson-Cambridge town line. The fire started in a shed around 7:30 FridayMore >>
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:42 GMT
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury. They immediately took to Facebook after hearing about this fire and started planning to collectMore >>
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:05 GMT
Reporter: "What are some of the most common burn injuries that we see with kids coming into the hospital?" Jim Esdon, Dartmouth Hitchcock Injury Prevention Center: "This time of year, the glass frontedMore >>
We've had another cold week that's left homeowners cranking the heat. But what does that mean for kids' safety?More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:19 AM EST2014-03-08 15:19:21 GMT
Armed with just two L rods, 87-year-old John Wayne Blassingame starts looking for water by asking yes or no questions. "Does it go past 20 feet, does it go past 30 feet, yah," he says. The rods crossingMore >>
A national organization based in Danville says it is providing resources to people in desperate need to find water.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 8:31 AM EST2014-03-08 13:31:36 GMT
The Governor is traveling to Rhode Island Saturday. His office says Governor Peter Shumlin will be at Brown University in Providence taking part in a forum with the Rhode Island Governor. While theMore >>
The Governor is traveling to Rhode Island Saturday. More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 8:17 AM EST2014-03-08 13:17:30 GMT
We have some ideas for your Saturday. IRISH FESTIVAL The 19th annual Burlington Irish Heritage Festival kicks off today. There is a lecture about the role of Irish immigrants in the Civil War at theMore >>
Friday, March 7 2014 7:28 PM EST2014-03-08 00:28:44 GMT
Williston Police say, the powder was from a generic prescription medication. They say, the man was from Burlington and had the paperwork in his pocket with his medicine and that's how it got on there. More >>
Williston Police say, the powder was from a generic prescription medication. They say, the man was from Burlington and had the paperwork in his pocket with his medicine and that's how it got on there.More >>