"Really bad, really bad. You go outside and they swarm around you," said Barbara Quenneville of Brandon.
Quenneville says the mosquitoes are always a problem in the area, but this summer is the worst yet.
"Frustrating, very frustrating," she said. "And I'm one that doesn't have a lot of patience for things like this, I really don't. And a friend that lived up at the lake the other day said you won't even be able to get out of your car the mosquitoes are so bad."
And granddaughter Sierra Quenneville says she has serious concerns about keeping her infant safe with the increased mosquito population, especially given their location. Quenneville says only a small wooded area separates their house from where one of two Eastern equine encephalitis deaths occurred last year.
"I can't put bug spray on him; it's not good for their skin," Sierra Quenneville said. "So, when we go out, I try to put like sensitive stuff on him, but it doesn't work and they still get to him. And it's scary-- it's terrifying. When you see people dying from EEE and it's been detected like five minutes down the road from you-- it doesn't take long for them to get here."
Vermont Health Department officials say Mother Nature is a huge factor. Mosquitoes tend to lay their nests in pools of water, so the more rain and pools of water, the better chances larvae have at becoming adults.
"I think the hot wet weather probably is the reason why we have a lot more mosquitoes. We had a hot dry summer last year, and that kept the mosquitoes down quite a bit in 2012. But this wet, wet start to the season has meant we had a lot of mosquitoes," said Erica Berl of the Vermont Health Department.
The Health Department says they are doing what they can for normal types of control and only intervene during an outbreak of disease. West Nile virus has been detected in mosquitoes trapped in Leicester, but isn't classified for state intervention.
The BLSG Insect Control District sprays Brandon and neighboring towns. The Quennevilles say their property has only been sprayed once, and they are feeling overwhelmed with what else to do.
"We are doing everything here we can with the fogger and the mosquito spray, but that's about all we can do," Barbara Quenneville said.
A buggy summer for all that is raising serious concerns for many.
To help prevent mosquito bites, officials recommend using insect repellent, wearing long sleeves and pants, and avoiding outside activity at dusk and dawn.
Wednesday, December 11 2013 5:19 PM EST2013-12-11 22:19:28 GMT
Police say they've caught the man wanted for three bank robberies in the Upper Valley. James Oberfeldt, 30, of Claremont, is currently jailed in Massachusetts on a drug charge. Police say he's been identifiedMore >>
Police say they've caught the man wanted for three bank robberies in the Upper Valley.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 6:14 PM EST2013-12-11 23:14:35 GMT
Two Plattsburgh State students are under arrest in connection with a brawl outside a fraternity house. It happened last month outside the Alpha Chi Rho (AXP) house on Brinkerhoff Street. Police say itMore >>
Authorities say allegations of a sexual assault in Plattsburgh led to a brawl. Now, some fraternity brothers are facing charges and more could be coming.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 4:59 PM EST2013-12-11 21:59:24 GMT
An update on that fatal accident Monday morning on the beltline in Burlington. Gregory Burt, 56, of Colchester, was killed when his car collided with a school bus. Police now say they have determined thatMore >>
An update on that fatal accident Monday morning on the beltline in Burlington.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 9:45 AM EST2013-12-11 14:45:27 GMT
An upstate New York woman is recovering after she was attacked by a rabid bobcat. The 49-year-old woman said the bobcat pounced on her last Thursday when she was at the door of her Putnam home, whichMore >>
An upstate New York woman is recovering after she was attacked by a rabid bobcat.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 6:10 PM EST2013-12-11 23:10:01 GMT
Carbon monoxide poisoning killed a Georgia teen in his car last February. As a way to cope with his death, Logan Newell's family started a foundation in his honor with the goal of helping needy familiesMore >>
Carbon monoxide poisoning killed a Georgia teen in his car last February. As a way to cope with his death, Logan Newell's family started a foundation in his honor with the goal of helping needy families in the area.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 12:27 PM EST2013-12-11 17:27:47 GMT
Vermont business owners are coming together in support of legislation to reduce the amount of toxins found in consumer products. Organizations say they hope to introduce legislation called the VermontMore >>
Vermont business owners are coming together in support of legislation to reduce the amount of toxins found in consumer products.More >>