Vt. man gets nearly 5 years in movie fraud case - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Vt. man gets nearly 5 years in movie fraud case

RUTLAND, Vt. -

"You would just see that he exudes sincerity and you would just see that you could trust him," Robert Melik Finkle said.

Melik Finkle is a victim in one of Vermont's largest fraud schemes ever. A movie meant to deliver spiritual healing, titled "The Birth of Innocence," has now sent two men to jail. On Wednesday in federal court, Mac Parker was sentenced to four years and six months.

"He took $360,000 from me-- which is a lifetime worth of money," victim Jerry Rule said.

The decade-long Ponzi scheme involved nearly 400 victims. Parker and his spiritual mentor, Louis Soteriou, received approximately $28 million in investor money to make the movie. But millions went directly into their pockets instead.

For Melik Finkle and many others who knew Parker and trusted him, jail time is justice served.

"But, I said, but if it turns out that he lied to me, I will have no compunctions about sending him to jail. So, I feel vindicated now; I've done that," Melik Finkle said.

Many of the victims were from the same community where Parker lives, and say they only invested because they believed in him. Some testified in court.

One said, "I barely live on welfare, while Parker and his family have been living on our money for 10 years." And "Is this safe? I cannot lose this money, it is my retirement. He assured me, it was."

Others though, spoke in Parker's favor and argued against sending him to jail. One said, "I truly believe our best hope for restitution is for him to be allowed to continue to create." And "Incarceration would be counterproductive and would accomplish nothing."

Parker delivered a statement through tears to the crowd of victims behind him. He said: "There is no sentence your honor, that you can give me that will be more painful for what I already feel." And "I was naive, I was foolish, I was delusional, and I was wrong. You were not wrong to trust me. I was wrong to violate your trust.

Despite the millions of dollars lost, some victims say they are still trying to remain positive.

"I haven't lost trust in the rest of Vermont. I still don't lock my doors. But don't tell them where I live!" victim Sally Fellows said with a laugh.

The judge ordered that restitution must be resolved within 45 days. The courts have yet to decide who has legal rights to "The Birth of Innocence" and any profits if it's ever sold. There are also talks of a company interested in making a documentary about the making of this movie. If that ever happens, investors could see money back from those proceeds.

Man sentenced to 7 years in film fraud scheme

Conn. man to plead guilty in Vt. film fraud case

Investors seek assets from filmmaker Mac Parker

Vt moviemaker Mac Parker admits fraud in civil suit

Vt moviemaker pleads guilty in film fraud scheme

Chiropractor pleads not guilty in Vt. to fraud

Plea deal for Vt filmmaker in financing controversy

New twist on filmmaker's financing controversy

Regulators: Addison filmmaker committed fraud

Vt. moviemaker's film financing investigated

Mac Parker responds to legal action

Storyteller investigated for violating state investment law

Child car seats in the spotlight

Monday, September 15 2014 6:59 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:59:59 GMT
    Car crashes are the number one cause of death for children in the United States, which is why making sure children are buckled up correctly is so important -- unfortunately most are not.

Franklin County residents focus on lake pollution

Monday, September 15 2014 6:48 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:48:35 GMT
    A proposal to save Lake Champlain's water quality was dead on arrival last February in the state legislature, but residents in Franklin County are renewing their push for legislation to improve the water.

Emily Peyton and Dan Feliciano add voices to the debate

Monday, September 15 2014 5:29 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:29:49 GMT

Two other gubernatorial candidates shared the gazebo with Scott Milne and Gov. Peter Shumlin for Saturday's debate.

FAHC: The wrong bill is in the mail

Monday, September 15 2014 4:51 PM EDT2014-09-15 20:51:03 GMT
    The medical center confirms that 3,800 people with last names that start with the letters L through Q, errantly received old bills Monday.

Sterling College launches $2M fundraising challenge

A tiny Vermont college that focuses on environmental stewardship is launching a $2 million fundraising challenge.

Dump truck rolls over in Berkshire

Monday, September 15 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:06:37 GMT
    There was a mess in Berkshire Monday when a dump truck rolled over.
    There was a mess in Berkshire Monday when a dump truck rolled over.

Fall hearing could determine fate of Vt. GMO labeling law

Monday, September 15 2014 6:51 PM EDT2014-09-15 22:51:09 GMT
    A fall hearing could provide the first clue to the fate of the state's recently-passed GMO labeling law. A group of food producers is suing Vermont over the mandated labeling of some products made with genetically engineered crops by 2016. The legal process is expected to take years, but experts say the first ruling could mirror the final ruling.

Manchester woman celebrates 105th birthday

Monday, September 15 2014 7:15 PM EDT2014-09-15 23:15:20 GMT
    It was a special birthday Monday for a very special lady. Her friends call her "Midge" and in Manchester, Vermont, she is a living legend.