An apartment building fire
in downtown Plattsburgh left a college student with serious burns.
Flames poured out of the
second and third stories of the apartment building on Couch Street early Friday
morning, trapping a 21-year-old student.
"She got burned
really bad on the third floor and she's not doing well," said John Carlo
Pecora, a witness.
Plattsburgh Police say
Alexa Limato was clinging to a window as fire crews rushed to get a ladder to
"We laddered the
building, she couldn't hold on anymore. She fell back into the inside of the
structure. My guys went in, we pulled her out, and got her to the ground to
transport her," Plattsburgh Assistant Fire Chief Remy Stone said.
Limato was taken to the
hospital in Plattsburgh, and then airlifted to a special burn center in
Syracuse. She's in serious condition.
Everyone else escaped the
eight-unit building unharmed.
"It appears now that
the fire started in an apartment on the second floor," Plattsburgh Police
Sgt. Brad Kiroy said.
By Friday afternoon,
investigators determined faulty wiring ignited the blaze.
The Red Cross and
Plattsburgh State University are helping 11 people displaced by the fire find
temporary housing-- seven are students.
Alex Bender says he's
lucky his girlfriend smelled smoke.
"So, I told her to
get out of the house and then I went and woke up my roommate and we all got
out," Bender said. "And as my roommate was getting out, the whole
building went up in flames."
Plattsburgh State is also
helping students displaced by that fire get meals, new textbooks and school
The school's president,
John Ettling, issued a statement saying, "Our hearts are with her and her
family as she struggles to recover from her injuries."
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:49 PM EST2014-03-09 02:49:49 GMT
The Burlington Yoga Conference began Saturday at UVM's Davis Center. The event gives participants a chance to connect the mind body and soul through workshops they may not have access to on a daily basis.More >>
The Burlington Yoga Conference began 6 years ago and has become a staple in the community.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:29 PM EST2014-03-09 02:29:17 GMT
A warning for pet owners in our region. Coyotes are on the prowl. A biologist in New Hampshire says he has received more than 10 calls recently, in the Keene, New Hampshire area, for a deer that was takenMore >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:21 PM EST2014-03-09 02:21:44 GMT
As spring approaches, many Vermont homeowners prepare to work on their houses - so they head to the Burlington Home Show. And many Vermont small business owners - with their products and services on displayMore >>
Many business owners at the Burlington Home Show say the new health care system in Vermont is helpful, but some say it's causing a real headache.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 8:07 PM EST2014-03-09 01:07:08 GMT
A rally at the State House in Montpelier Saturday. A passionate group of dozens of women, and men, assembled in front of the State House Saturday for the Women's March for Dignity. They were demandingMore >>
Women's March for Dignity say they are demanding lawmakers support paid sick day policies for all workers.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:21 AM EST2014-03-08 15:21:27 GMT
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries. They were injured while fighting a at the Bennett Farm on Route 15 on the Johnson-Cambridge town line. The fire started in a shed around 7:30 FridayMore >>
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:42 GMT
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury. They immediately took to Facebook after hearing about this fire and started planning to collectMore >>
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:05 GMT
Reporter: "What are some of the most common burn injuries that we see with kids coming into the hospital?" Jim Esdon, Dartmouth Hitchcock Injury Prevention Center: "This time of year, the glass frontedMore >>
We've had another cold week that's left homeowners cranking the heat. But what does that mean for kids' safety?More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:19 AM EST2014-03-08 15:19:21 GMT
Armed with just two L rods, 87-year-old John Wayne Blassingame starts looking for water by asking yes or no questions. "Does it go past 20 feet, does it go past 30 feet, yah," he says. The rods crossingMore >>
A national organization based in Danville says it is providing resources to people in desperate need to find water.More >>