Quantcast

Detergent pods pose danger to children - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Detergent pods pose danger to children

Posted: Updated:
FARGO, N.D. -

On Sept. 24, Alexander Rohde celebrated his first birthday. Today, Alex is in the children's intensive care unit at Sanford Hospital in Fargo, as doctors work to save his life. His family says Alex got a hold of a Tide detergent pod and swallowed it.

"He ingested it. And when I realized he did, it said to give him milk and he started throwing up really bad," mom Michelle Klienschmidt said.

After his mother called poison control and then 911, the little boy was flown by helicopter to the hospital.

"His breathing got worse. And when they handed him to me he stopped breathing," Klienschmidt said.

For the past two days, Alex has been sedated.

"We don't want to be here, but we are here to support my sister and Alex," said Angie Eddert, Alex's aunt.

Family members say they are not surprised a little child would eat one of the detergent pods because they look like candy. They say it's time to change the look of the pods.

Now, all the family can do is hope and pray for a full recovery.

"It's minute by minute," Klienschmidt said. "There's no information how he'll be. He needs a ventilator to breathe right now."

Poison control centers have received more than 9,500 reports of children 5 and under coming in contact with or swallowing detergent pods since early 2012. The first reported death came this past August, when a 1-year-old died after swallowing one in Florida.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.