YCQM: October 6, 2013 - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

YCQM: October 6, 2013

BURLINGTON, Vt. -

GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE, OUR GUEST TODAY IS NORWICH PRESIDENT RICHARD SNYDER. WE WILL TALK ABOUT CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS AND DEFENSE DEPARTMENT GRANTS AWARDED TO THE UNIVERSITY.

>> RICHARD SNYDER, THANKS FOR JOINING US THIS MORNING. WE APPRECIATE IT.

>> GREAT TO BE HERE WITH YOU GUYS.

>> LET'S START WITH, OF COURSE, THE BIG HEADLINE THIS PAST WEEK, THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN, HAS THAT AFFECTED NORWICH IN ANY WAY?

>> ACADEMICALLY IT HAS. OUR FACULTY WOULD NORMALLY ACCESS THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, FOR EXAMPLE. CAN'T GET IN. BASICALLY SHUT DOWN. THE REGULARS OF THE OPERATION WITH THE SCHOOL -- THE REST OF THE OPERATION WITH THE SCHOOL IS FINE. WE HAVE ALL OF OUR 35 OFFICERS AND NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS WHO ARE FEDERAL EMPLOYEES, BECAUSE THEY ARE ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY ON CAMPUS. SO THAT'S OKAY. THE CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES, THOUGH, HAVE BEEN FURLOUGHED AND THEY HAVE A COUPLE CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES ON CAMPUS THAT TAKE CARE OF OUR ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINE STUDENTS. SO OTHER THAN THAT, THOUGH, FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID SEEMS LIKE IT'S OKAY, WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ALL OF OUR COLLEGES RIGHT NOW THAT, YOU KNOW, GOVERNMENT KEEP PROCESSING THOSE KIND OF THINGS. BUT I'M HOPEFUL THAT THIS WILL BE OVER SHORTLY.

>> SO WE ARE TAPING THIS ON THURSDAY. WE'RE NOT SURE, MAYBE IT WILL BE OVER BY THE TIME --

>> I DON'T KNOW.

>> THIS AIRS ON SUNDAY.

>> I DON'T HAVE A LOT OF CONFIDENCE.

>> IS THERE ANY CONCERN YOU HAVE A LEADER AS NORWICH UNIVERSITY AS THIS DRAGS ON, DO ANY OF THOSE, YOU KNOW, INITIAL IMPACTS GET WORSE, OR IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CHANGES OVER TIME?

>> FOR OUR ACADEMIC PROGRAMS, THE FACT THAT THE FACULTY CAN'T GET AT THEIR RESEARCH MATERIALS THAT WE'RE USING FROM THE GOVERNMENT, THAT COULD BE HARMFUL TO US. BUT I THINK WE'LL MITIGATE THAT OKAY, TO BE QUITE HONEST. I THINK IT IS JUST TERRIBLE FOR THE COUNTRY. I DON'T THINK IT'S GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY, I DON'T THINK IT'S GOOD FOR THE JOBS, AND THINGS LIKE THAT. I HOPE CONGRESS CAN BE MORE STATESMAN-LIKE AND GET THIS RESOLVED.

>> YOU SAID NORWICH UNIVERSITY -- YOU HAVE BEEN AT NORWICH UNIVERSITY QUITE SOME TIME NOW.

>> 22 YEARS.

>> HOW IS THE CHARACTER OF THE UNIVERSITY CHANGED IN THAT TIME?

>> WOW. IT'S CHANGED A LOT. THERE'S CERTAIN THINGS THAT HAVE REMAINED THE SAME. OUR VALUES, FOR EXAMPLE. YOU KNOW, WE WON'T LIE, CHEAT OR STEAL OR ATTEMPT TO DECEIVE ANYBODY. THE VALUES THAT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT NORWICH SINCE 1819. WE'RE A VERY OLD SCHOOL, BY THE WAY.

>> OLDEST PRIVATE MILITARY COLLEGE IN THE COUNTRY.

>> THANK YOU, YES, WE ARE. BIRTH PLACE OF THE RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS. IN 1819, YOU KNOW, IT WASN'T THAT FAR BETWEEN 1776 AND 1819 THAT WE WERE FOUNDED IN NOR WHICH VERMONT. -- NORWICH VERMONT. SOME WONDER WHY WE HAVE THE NAME. OUR FOUNDER WAS THERE, CAPTAIN ALDEN PARTRIDGE. HE WAS A MATH MAJOR AT DARTMOUTH AND TRANSFERRED TO THE UNITED STATES MILITARY ACADEMY, FINISHED IN A YEAR, BECAME FIRST LIEUTENANT, NOT A SECOND LIEUTENANT WHICH WAS COMMON THEN AND COMMON TODAY. HE BECAME A FIRST LIEUTENANT. FIRST ENGINEERING PROFESSOR IN AMERICA, AND IN FOUR YEARS WAS THE SUPERINTENDENT AS A CAPTAIN IN OUR ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS. WORKED THERE FOR A WHILE, AND THEN LEFT THE ARMY AND CAME BACK TO HIS HOME STATE IN VERMONT, AND SET UP A SCHOOL THAT LOOKED JUST LIKE WEST POINT. AND WE WERE THAT WAY SINCE ABOUT 1974. ALL MEN, ALL IN UNIFORM, ALL MILITARY. THEY WERE SAYING ACADEMIC PROGRAMS, SO YOU HAD TO GET AN ACADEMIC DEGREE, OF COURSE, BUT WE HAD THE FIRST CIVIL ENGINEERING PROGRAM IN A PRIVATE SCHOOL IN AMERICA, WEST POINT WAS THE FIRST PUBLIC ONE. WE ARE THE FIRST SCHOOL TO TEACH AGRICULTURE, FOR EXAMPLE, FIRST COLLEGIATE BAND. PARTRIDGE HAD TO HAVE A BAND TO MARCH THE KIDS AROUND. SO WE HAD THE FIRST COLLEGIATE BANDS. A LOT OF FIRSTS IN THIS SCHOOL, AND I THINK IT FITS VERMONT, BECAUSE VERMONT IS A PLACE OF INNOVATION. HE WAS THE FIRST EXPERIENTIAL TEACHER. HE MARCHED THE KIDS AROUND VERMONT AND NEW HAMPSHIRE, SURVEYING AND TEACHING THEM BOTANY AND AGRICULTURE AND BRIDGE-BUILDING AND COMMERCE AND THINGS LIKE THAT. WE WERE ALL MEN, ALL MILITARY UP TO 1974 AND WE ADMITTED WOMEN. WE BOUGHT VERMONT COLLEGE. WE STARTED TO GROW AS A UNIVERSITY IN ACADEMIC PROGRAMS AND DIVERSITY OF PROGRAMS. I CAME IN 1992, AND THE REGIMEN WAS 830 STUDENTS, CADETS, AND WE HAD A COUPLE HUNDRED CIVILIAN STUDENTS LIVING AT VER SMONT COLLEGE AND WE WOULD BUS THEM BACK AND FORTH TO CLASS. SO NOW WE'RE ALL IN NORTHFIELD, AND THE REGIMENT STANDS ABOUT 1500. BUT OUR ACADEMIC REPUTATION HAS VAULTED IN THE LAST 15, 20 YEARS. SO WE'RE VERY DIFFERENT PLACE THAN WE STARTED OUT.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT. SINCE 1992 YOU HAVE BEEN AT THE HELM AT NORWICH. WHAT KINDS OF CHANGES HAVE WE SEEN SINCE THEN, WHAT WAS YOUR PRIORITY WHEN YOU TOOK OVER?

>> WELL, FIRST WAS TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS GOOD FINANCIALLY. BECAUSE IF THINGS AREN'T GOOD FINANCIALLY AND YOU HAVE A SOLID BUSINESS MODEL, EVERYBODY GRIEVES AND THAT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA. I WORKED ON THE FINANCIAL MODEL FIRST, AND GOT THAT SQUARED AWAY. THEN WE STARTED BUILDING ACADEMIC REPUTATION AND BECOMING MUCH MORE SELECTIVE IN OUR ADMISSIONS PROCESS. TODAY, NORWICH REJECTS HALF THE KIDS THAT APPLY. I MEAN, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE MORE SPACE FOR THEM, BUT I'M OUT OF DORM SPACE, EVEN THOUGH I'M BUILDING ANOTHER DORM. BUT WE REJECT HALF THE STUDENTS THAT APPLY. THAT WAS NOT THE CASE WHEN I STARTED. WE HAD GREAT KIDS, DON'T GET ME WRONG, BUT WE CAN BALANCE THE PROGRAMS BETTER NOW. WE CAN KIND OF SHAPE THE SCHOOL ACADEMICALLY, WHICH MAKES US MORE EFFICIENT AS WELL. I THINK ATHLETICALLY, WE ALWAYS HAD GOOD TEAMS, BUT NOW WE HAVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, AND IT'S GREAT TO GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH MIDDLEBURY AND OTHER PLACES THAT ARE, YOU KNOW, DIVISION 3 NATIONAL CHAMPS. WOMAN'S RUGBY TEAM AND THINGS LIKE THAT. ACADEMICALLY WE'VE GROWN. ACADEMICALLY WE'VE GROWN, AND THEN TO BE QUITE HONEST, THE CAMPUS HAS GROWN. I THINK I HAVE BEEN BUILDING A BUILDING ABOUT EVERY YEAR OR TWO.

>> YEAH. AND EVEN MORE CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS.

>> THIS SUMMER WE SPENT $42 MILLION, ACTUALLY THE GOVERNOR CAME DOWN TO SAY THANKS FOR THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN CENTRAL VERMONT. BY THE WAY, WE ALWAYS TRY TO USE VERMONT CONTRACTORS. WE TRY TO KEEP THE MONEY AT HOLE. AND -- AT HOME. I WANT THE CONTRACTORS TO SEND THEIR KIDS TO NORWICH OR OTHER VERMONT SCHOOLS. $42 MILLION. WE HAVE A NEW FIELD TO PLAY FOOTBALL. IT'S ARTIFICIAL GRASS, LIGHTS, NEW STANDS. IT IS NOT JUST FOR FOOTBALL NOW. THE GREAT THING FOR US, WE USED TO ONLY USE THE FIELD FIVE DAYS A YEAR, MAYBE, AND THEN YOU COULDN'T STEP ON THE GRASS, BECAUSE THE GRASS GOT BEATEN DOWN, AND IT TAKES TIME TO RECOVER IN VERMONT TO GROW GRASS, AS WE ALL KNOW. SO NOW THE FIRST NIGHT WE OPENED THE FIELD, WE PLAYED THREE VARSITY GAMES ON IT AND HAD PRACTICES FOR ALL THOSE TEAMS ON IT, AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. IT'S ARTIFICIAL GRASS. IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME FOR SCHOOL. SO IT INCREASED THE PLAYING TIME. WE ARE BUILDING A BIOMASS PLANT, $6 MILLION. GOING TO BURN WOOD CHIPS. THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHAT I MEANT ABOUT KEEPING THE MONEY AT HOME. RATHER THAN SPENDING MONEY FOR FUEL OIL, THE MONEY WOULD GO OVERSEAS, WE'RE SAVING A MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR IN THE OPERATING BUDGET BY BURNING WOOD CHIPS, AND THE PLANT WILL GO LIVE IN NOVEMBER. IT WAS $6 MILLION. SO I WILL PAY IT OFF IN SIX YEARS, WITH THAT MILLION DOLLARS I'M SAVING. BY THE WAY, ALL THE WOOD CHIPS COME -- 95% OF THE WOOD CHIPS COME FROM VERMONT FARMERS. SO-SSOME FROM NEW YORK -- SOME FROM NEW YORK. I DON'T KNOW IF THERE'S ANY FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE. WE'RE KEEPING THAT MONEY AT HOME. AND BY THE WAY, WE'RE REDUCING THE STUFF THAT COMES OUT OF THE STACK. SO WE ARE TRYING TO BE MORE EFFICIENT IN OUR OPERATIONS TO SAVE MONEY, BECAUSE OUR KIDS CAN ONLY AFFORD SO MUCH. SO THOSE KIND OF CHANGES ARE HAPPENING. AND THEN $25 MILLION DORM, WHICH IS LIKE BETTER BE READY BY NEXT NOVEMBER OR I TOLD JAMIE THEY ALL MAY BE LIVING WITH US IN WOODBURY AT THE PRESIDENT'S HOUSE IF THEY ARE NOT READY.

>> MR. SCHNEIDER, LET'S TALK ABOUT THE STUDENTS WHO GO TO NORWICH UNIVERSITY. WHAT KIND OF STUDENT IS ATTRACTED TO THE SCHOOL? IT IS A PRIVATE MILITARY COLLEGE. IT IS SOMEONE WHO OPTED NOT TO DO THE WEST POINT, AIR FORCE ACADEMY ROUTE. AND THEN YOU ALSO HAVE CIVILIAN PEOPLE WHO GO THERE AS WELL. SO WHO IS DRAWN TO NORWICH?

>> WELL, IT'S A VERY INTERESTING QUESTION. THERE ARE 1500 CADETS, 750 CIVILIAN STUDENTS. OF THOSE CIVILIAN STUDENTS, A LITTLE MORE THAN HALF LIVE ON CAMPUS, AND HALF ARE COMMUTERS: SOME ARE MY AGE. I LOVE ADULTS IN THE CLASSROOM. GENERALLY THEY ALL WANT A PRIVATE, HIGHER EDUCATION EXPERIENCE IN NEW ENGLAND, ALTHOUGH WE ARE A NATIONAL SCHOOL, IN FACT AN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, WE ARE RECRUITING FROM ALL OVER. THERE IS A BIG CHANGE. WE USED TO BE PRIMARILY A NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL. AND WHEN I ARRIVED IT WAS VERY CLEAR THAT THE BIRTH RATES IN NEW ENGLAND WERE DROPPING DRAMATICALLY, AND A LOT OF THE JOBS WERE MOVING SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST, SO WE SAID, HEY, WE HAVE TO BECOME MORE NATIONAL IN OUR ADVERTISING AND OUR BUSINESS OPERATIONS. SO NOW WE HAVE ABOUT 40 STATES REPRESENTED ON OUR UNIVERSITY FOR THE UNDERGRADUATE POPULATION. THEY WANT SMALL CLASSROOMS, THEY WANT HIGH-QUALITY MAJORS, THEY WANT A -- WANT TO PLAY SPORTS, THEY WANT AN INTIMATE SETTING. THEY ARE VERY VALUES-ORIENTED, EVEN THE CIVILIAN STUDENTS WHO DON'T WANT TO BE IN THE REGIMENT AND GET UP AT 5:15 FOR PHYSICAL TRAINING AND MAKE YOUR BED AND SHINE YOUR SHOES. ALL THE THINGS THAT CADETS LEARN TO DO, MARCH AND THINGS LIKE THAT. THEY LOVE BEING NEAR THE REGIMENT. AND THEY LOVE THE VALUES, THE INTEGRITY, THE HONESTY, THE SERVICE OF COMMUNITY, AND OTHERS. AND THAT'S THE KIND OF KIDS WE ATTRACT. THEY ARE NOT WEALTHY PARENTS THAT COME TO NORWICH. I WOULD SAY MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES THAT COME TO NORWICH. ONLY 3% OF MY KIDS PAY THE FULL PRICE.

>> WHICH IS ABOUT $42,000.

>> RIGHT NOW THE STICKER PRICE IS $42,000 ALL IN. AND WE TRY TO PRICE OURSELVES A LITTLE BIT CHEAPER THAN THE AVERAGE SCHOOL IN NEW ENGLAND. OF COURSE, NEW ENGLAND HAS THE HIGHEST, I THINK, QUALITY EDUCATION AS WELL AS COST, AND IT DOES COST A LOT TO KEEP EVERYBODY WARM. BUT THAT'S A REASONABLE PRICE. I THINK WE GIVE GOOD VALUE FOR THAT. THE FACT OF THE MATTER, THERE'S ONLY 3% OF THE STUDENTS PAY THE FULL PRICE. BECAUSE THEIR FOLKS CAN AFFORD IT. I MEAN, WE HAVE STUDENTS AT NORWICH WHOSE MOMS OR DADS ARE SERGEANTS IN OUR ARMY, WHO ARE SENDING THEIR KIDS TO NORWICH. THEY ARE NOT MAKING $42,000 GROSS INCOME, AND YET THEIR KIDS CAN COME. NOW, MY ALUMS ARE UNBELIEVABLY SUPPORTIVE. THAT'S WHY WE CAN BUILD ALL THOSE BUILDINGS, TOO, BY THE WAY.

>> SO IN THE CADET CORPS, 1500 OR SO STUDENTS, HOW MANY OF THEM GRADUATE AND THEN DECIDE TO PURSUE A CAREER IN THE MILITARY?

>> WELL, ABOUT 60% WILL GO INTO THE MILITARY. COMMISSIONED SERVICE. THERE ARE SOME THAT MIGHT DO ENLISTED SERVICE INSTEAD, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DO THAT. THAT'S FINE. THE OTHERS, PEOPLE SAY, WHY WOULD A PERSON WANT TO BE IN THE CORPS OF CADETS BUT NOT GET COMMISSIONED? WELL, THEY LOVE THE DISCIPLINE. MAYBE THEY REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SERVE, BUT BECAUSE OF A MEDICAL ISSUE, THEY CAN'T. MAYBE THEY ARE COLOR-BLIND OR HAVE ASTHMA OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, AND CAN'T PASS THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS TO BE IN THE UNITED STATES MILITARY, BUT THEY CAN CERTAINLY BE A CADET IN OUR CADET CORPS. IT IS VERY PHYSICAL, TO BE QUITE HONEST. WE THINK A LOT ABOUT BEING STRONG, BOTH COURAGEOUS AND PHYSICALLY STRONG. SO THE OTHER GROUP WOULD PROBABLY HAVE THEIR EYESIGHT ON GOING TO GRAD SKAL SCHOOL RIGHT AWAY OR GO TO WORK IN BUSINESS. IT'S ALL ABOUT LEADERSHIP, THOUGH. WHETHER IT'S MILITARY LEADERSHIP, OR CIVILIAN LEADERSHIP. THERE IS REALLY NOT A LOT OF DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO, TO BE HONEST. THEY REALLY WANT TO DEVELOP THEIR LEADERSHIP SKILLS. THEY ARE VERY PATRIOTIC, BOTH THE CIVILIAN AND THE CORPS KIDS. AND ACTUALLY WHEN THEY COME INTO THE SCHOOL AND WE GIVE THEM SURVEYS AND WHAT HAVE YOU, YOU CAN'T TELL THEM APART, KRISTIN. YOU WOULD LOOK AT THEIR ANSWERS AND THEY LOOK THE SAME. SO OTHER THAN, YOU KNOW, MAYBE I WANT TO BE IN THE MILITARY. WE HAVE SOME CIVILIAN STUDENTS WHO HAVE JOINED THE VERMONT GUARD AND GET COMMISSIONED IN THE VERMONT GUARD. BUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE A FEDERAL COMMISSION FROM ONE OF THE SERVICES, YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE REGIMENT. SO IF YOU TAKE THE FEDERAL MONEY FOR ROTC SCHOLARSHIPS, YOU HAVE TO SERVE, AND SO THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE ON WHO GOES AND WHO DOESN'T GO INTO THE SERVICE. BUT IT'S A VERY INTERESTING PLACE.

>> THE SCHOOL HAS RECENTLY RECEIVED ABOUT $10 MILLION IN FINANCIAL GRANTS TO RESEARCH AND TRY TO PROTECT THE COUNTRY FROM ONE OF THE NEW SORT OF TERROR ATTACKS, AND THAT'S CYBER ATTACKS. TELL US WHAT THAT MONEY IS BEING USED FOR, AND WHERE ARE WE AT IN THE PROCESS OF REALLY PROTECTING THE COUNTRY FROM THESE KIND OF ATTACKS?

>> SURE. NORWICH HAS BEEN IN THE BUSINESS ABOUT PROTECTING THE REPUBLIC SINCE 1819. THE THREAT THEN WAS THE RED COATS COMING OVER THE GREEN HILLS OF VERMONT. SO WE WERE INCH FIN TRY SCHOOL. WE WENT THROUGH -- INFANTRY SCHOOL. WE WENT THROUGH CHANGES. CAVALRY, ARMOR. ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO WE PICKED CYBER WARFARE AS AN AREA AT NORWICH WHERE WE THOUGHT WE COULD MAKE A DIFFERENTIAL -- DIFFERENCE. SO WE LAUNCHED THAT, AND THROUGH THE GREAT HELP OF SENATOR LEAHY, WE BECAME A NATIONAL CENTER OF EXCELLENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE. HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOUR NETWORKS. THE GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN VERY SUPPORTIVE OF US IN DOING THIS WORK, AND THIS NEW GRANT, OF ABOUT $9.9 MILLION FROM MOMENTLAND -- HOMELAND SECURITY DOES THE FOLLOWING THINGS: IT HELPS US DEVELOP WHAT WE'VE DONE SO FAR, AND THEY PROVIDED ABOUT $12 MILLION SO FAR, THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF THAT WORK. AND WE PASSED THE FIRST GATE OF THE FIRST VERSION OF THIS SOFTWARE. IT PROTECTS THE FINANCIAL SYSTEMS OF AMERICA. AND HERE'S WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT: MOST OF THE INFRASTRUCTURE, THE CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE IN AMERICA IS HELD BY PRIVATE COMPANIES. NOT BY THE GOVERNMENT. SO ALL OF US FINANCIAL SYSTEMS ARE RUN BY BANKS AND BROKERAGES AND CLEARINGHOUSES, AND STOCK MARKETS. GETTING AL THESE GUYS TO WORK COLLABORATIVELY IS A REAL TRICK. IT IS ONE THING WE DO REALLY WELL, WHICH IS WHY THE GOVERNMENT IS INVESTING IN US. WE JUST HAD 40 INSTITUTION PRACTICE, KIND OF LIKE A DRILL, IN NEW YORK CITY, IN WALL STREET, AND ATTACKED EVERYONE'S SYSTEMS, AND THE SYSTEM THAT WE DEVELOPED IN THIS CYBER WARFARE AREA ALLOWS US AS A CONTROLLER TO SEE EVERYTHING THAT'S GOING ON AND HOW THEY ARE REACTING. NOT GOING INTO THEIR SYSTEMS, BUT TO SEE HOW THEY REACT.

>> SO THE SCHOOL IS ACTUALLY DEVELOPING THE SOFTWARE, THEN, THAT WOULD PROTECT FROM A CYBER ATTACK.

>> YES. WE ARE WRITING THE SOFTWARE, WHICH BASICALLY ALLOWS THEM TO PLAY THE GAME, WHICH IS SIMULATED REAL WORLD, AND LETS THEM ACTUALLY HAVE ABOUT 40 BOGUS-NAME STOCKS, AND WE LET ALL OF THEM PLAY AT THAT. AND THEN WE ATTACK THEM IN DIFFERENT WAYS. DENIAL OF SERVICE, OR WE MAY SCREW UP THE TRANSACTION. CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW AMERICA WOULD FEEL IF THEY COULDN'T COUNT ON WHEN THEY WENT TO THE ATM MACHINE THAT THE BALANCE IN THEIR CHECKING ACCOUNT IS RIGHT? OR THAT WHEN YOU BOUGHT STOCK, I DON'T KNOW IF WCADPCHL -- WCAX IS PRIVATE OR PUBLIC, BUT YOU BOUGHT STOCK IN THE COMPANY, YOU ARE NOT SURE IF YOU REALLY BOUGHT IT. THAT WOULD CRIPPLE OUR WHOLE ECONOMIC SYSTEM. WE ARE BEING ATTACKED CONSTANTLY. YOU'RE BEING ATTACKED, NORWICH IS BEING ATTACKED, PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO GET INTO OUR SYSTEMS. AND HOW WE BECOME HARDENED, THAT IS, HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOUR SYSTEMS, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'VE BEEN ATTACKED. THE WORST THING IS BEING ATTACKED AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT. LIKE I GOT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER NOW, KRISTIN, AND I GOT YOUR DATE OF BIRTH AND EVERYTHING ELSE OUT OF WCAX'S HR FILE. YOU WOULD NOT BE A HAPPY CAMPER.

>> UM-UM.

>> AND YOU WOULDN'T BE HAPPY WITH YOUR COMPANY FOR LETTING THAT HAPPEN. IMAGINE THIS HAPPENING FOR AMERICA. OF COURSE IT WOULD AFFECT EVERY GLOBAL ECONOMIC SYSTEM IN THE WORLD IF ALL OF A SUDDEN WE LOST CONFIDENCE IN OUR BANKING SYSTEM. I MEAN, THAT'S REALLY SERIOUS. SO THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING. WE ARE WRITING THAT SOFTWARE, SO THAT THEY CAN ALL PRACTICE AND PLAY TOGETHER AND SEE, OH, MY GOD, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS POSSIBLE THAT YOU COULD GET THAT INFORMATION. THEN WE'RE GOING TO GO ON AN ELECTRIC GRID. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF YOU WERE BROADCASTING LIKE WE ARE RIGHT NOW AND ALL OF A SUDDEN ALL THE LIGHTS WENT OFF IN THE STUDIO? BECAUSE SOMEBODY HACKED INTO THE GRID AND SHUT BURLINGTON DOWN. NOT TO MENTION ALL THE STOPLIGHTS THAT WOULD STOP WORKING, NOT TO MENTION UVM'S HOSPITAL, I KNOW THEY HAVE A EMERGENCY GENERATORS, BUT THE FACT IS THEY COULD JUST CREATE HAVOC. WHAT ABOUT OUR FOOD SYSTEM? WHAT ABOUT ALL THE AIRPLANE CONTROLS, FAA SYSTEMS? SUPPOSE WE HACK INTO THEM AND WE KNOW THERE'S A FLIGHT INBOUND, ALL OF A SUDDEN THAT FLIGHT IS NOT THERE. BUT IT REALLY IS THERE. I MEAN, THIS IS REALLY TRICKY STUFF. AND BY THE WAY, HALF THE ATTACKS COME FROM TERRIBLE INTERNATIONAL PEOPLE. ROGUE STATES. THE OTHER HALF COME FROM AMERICA. I THINK SOME OF THEM ARE 14-YEAR-OLD KIDS, YOUR KIDS, TRYING TO HACK IN JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT. WE HAVE TO TEACH THEM, THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING TO DO, SON. SO WE'RE TRYING TO DO THE PUBLIC OUTREACH PART, BUT WE'RE REALLY DEVELOPING THE SOFTWARE. NOW, FROM AN ECONOMIC POINT OF VIEW, YOU KNOW, WE'RE HIRING, YOU KNOW, SKILLED SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS TO COME TO VERMONT TO WORK ON THIS PROJECT WITH US. AND THEN ALL MY STUDENTS HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY AND EXERCISE WITH THAT EQUIPMENT AS WELL. SO IT IS AN EDUCATIONAL PIECE, TOO.

>> WE HAVE TO TAKE A QUICK BREAK AND CONTINUE OUR CONVERSATION WITH NORWICH UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT RICHARD SCHNEIDER

>>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYONE, WE ARE CONTINUING OUR DISCUSSION WITH NORWICH UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT RICHARD SCHNEIDER, BEEN THERE FOR 22 YEARS. I WANT TO TALK ABOUT A NEW REPORT THAT CAME OUT THAT I'M SURE AND OTHER COLLEGE PRESIDENTS IN THE REASONING -- REGION WERE LOOKING AT, A NEW FEDERALLY MANDATED REPORT PUTTING A SPOTLIGHT ON THE NUMBER OF SEXUAL ASSAULTS IN THE DIFFERENT COLLEGES AND AREA COLLEGES.

>> YES.

>> DARTMOUTH, SAINT MICHAEL'S, THEY ARE ALL REPORTED NUMBERS. THERE WERE SIX STUDENTS RAPED ON THE CAMPUS OF NORWICH UNIVERSITY LAST YEAR, COMPARED TO SEVEN IN 2011, AND THREE IN 2010. AGAIN, WHEN YOU COMPARE IT TO THE OTHER AREA COLLEGES, IT IS IN THE MIX WITH THE NUMBERS. WHAT IS NORWICH DOING TO TRY TO PR VENT SEXUAL VIOLENCE ON CAMPUS?

>> FIRST, IT IS ALLEGED, AND ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSAULTS ON THAT. BUT WE ARE CONSTANTLY EDUCATING AND TRYING TO TRAIN EVERYONE.

>> WHEN YOU SAY ALLEGED --

>> WELL, THE PERSON CLAIMED THEY WERE RAPED. THEN THERE HAS TO BE A JUDICIAL PROCESS THAT THEY GO THROUGH. SO ANYONE THAT CLAIMS IT, I THINK, SHOWS UP IN THE NUMBERS. BUT LET ME TELL YOU, ONE IS TOO MANY. NEVERTHELESS, I'M WORRIED ABOUT PEOPLE NOT REPORTING. I THINK IT IS UNDERREPORTED AT ALL THE SCHOOLS.

>> IN THE CATEGORY, THOUGH, IN THE FEDERAL REPORTING, IT SAYS UNDERNEATH THERE, FORCIBLE RAPES. SO THESE ARE JUST ALLEGATIONS, THESE ARE NOT CONFIRMED --

>> AT THIS POINT I WOULD HAVE TO CHECK. LET'S ASSUME THEY ARE ACTUAL RAPES.

>> I ANY THEY WERE TRYING -- I THINK THEY WERE TRYING TO GET OUT ACTUAL RAPES --

>> I KNOW WE REPORT BOTH. WHO MADE CHARGES AND HOW DOES IT FINALLY COME OUT. ONE IS TOO MANY. AND REMEMBER, I'M LIVING WITH 2300 TEENAGERS. A LOT OF PARENTS HAVE TROUBLE WITH TWO TEENAGERS. BUT ONE IS STEW MANY. I -- TOO MANY. I WILL TELL YOU THAT NORMALLY 99.9% OF EVERY RAPE THAT HAPPENS ON A CAMPUS IS ALCOHOL-DRIVEN. AND IT'S USUALLY A CLAIMLESS RAPE, WHICH MEANS THEY KNEW EACH OTHER AND -- ACQUAINTANCE RAPE. INVARIABLY IT IS A HE SAID, SHE SAID SITUATION. IT PUTS THE UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION IN A JUDICIAL PROCESS THAT'S VERY, VERY DIFFICULT WITH EVERYONE'S EMOTIONS VERY HIGH. THESE ARE KIND OF LIKE LIFE-CHANGING EVENTS FOR PEOPLE. I WORRY ABOUT IT BEING UNDERREPORTED BECAUSE I THINK SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T REPORT IT. THEY WOULD RATHER FORGET IS IT. -- FORGET IT. WE TEACH STUDENTS WHAT TO DO RIGHT AWAY IF THEY FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN RAPED IN REGARDS TO EVIDENCE AND GOING RIGHT -- IMMEDIATELY TO THE HOSPITAL AND DOING A RAPE KIT ANALYSIS. SOME DON'T DO THAT. AND THEN THEY WAIT AND THEN FINALLY REPORT IT LATER. I MEAN, THIS IS NOT JUST A COLLEGE PROBLEM, THIS IS A NATIONAL PROBLEM. IT IS AN EVERYBODY PROBLEM. BUT THE ROOT OF IT HAS GOT TO BE IN EDUCATION, AND TEACHING RESPECT, AND, YOU KNOW, WHAT ABOUT"NO" DON'T YOU GET? BUT WHEN THERE'S ALCOHOL INVOLVED, EVERYBODY IS NOT THINKING CLEARLY. AND IT IS A NATIONAL TRAGEDY.

>> WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SIX STUDENTS ACCUSED --

>> SITTING HERE, I CAN'T TELL YOU EXACTLY. I KNOW THAT EACH ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN PROSECUTED BY US, WE ENCOURAGE THE VICTIMS TO REPORT IT TO THE MR. IS, BECAUSE THEY SHOULD -- TO THE POLICE, BECAUSE THEY SHOULD USE THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM -- THIS IS IS A CRIME. THIS IS NOT JUST, YOU KNOW, I DIDN'T DO MY HOMEWORK. THIS IS A CRIME. AND A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO DO THAT. SO WE ENCOURAGE THEM, BUT WE CAN'T MAKE THEM AS A COLLEGE OR A UNIVERSITY. THEN THERE'S ALSO A JUDICIAL PROCESS THAT GOES FORWARD AT THE SCHOOL, AND ALL THOSE SCHOOLS THAT YOU MENTIONED ARE GREAT PLACES THAT TRY HARD TO BE SAFE ENVIRONMENTS FOR EVERYONE. THERE ISN'T A COLLEGE PRESIDENT THAT WOULD WANT A RAPE TO HAPPEN ON THEIR CAMPUS. I MEAN, WE LOVE THESE STUDENTS. BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS, SOMETIMES THEY DON'T TREAT EACH OTHER RIGHT, OR THEY GET IN SITUATIONS THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN INTO.

>> DOES THE SCHOOL AN BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF POLICE OR IS THIS UP TO THE ALLEGED SKRIK -- VICTIM?

>> IT IS UP TO THE VICTIM. WE ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO DO THAT. IT'S A PERSONAL ISSUE BETWEEN THEM AND THE PERPETRATOR. WE WORK VERY CLOSELY WITH THE NORTHFIELD PD. THEY HAVE BEEN AWESOME WITH US. THEY'VE HELPED US ACTUALLY IN THE TRAINING. NOW, WE TRY TO KEEP THEM VERY PRIVATE, SO IT IS NOT LIKE WE'RE GOING TO SAY THE TWO OF YOU WERE INVOLVED IN A SITUATION. THE NUMBERS ARE POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE, THE DEAN OF STUDENTS AND XHOND COMMON DANT OF CADETS TALK ABOUT THIS ALL THE TIME. WE DO BRIEFINGS BEFORE HIGH RISK WEEKENDS, THINGS LIKE REGIMENTAL BALL WEEKEND, OR WHEN THERE'S A LOT OF GUESTS ON CAMPUS, OR THINGS LIKE THAT. BIG PARTY WEEKENDS, LIKE RIGHT AROUND GRADUATION OR THINGS LIKE THAT. BUT THESE THINGS HAPPEN AT RANDOM TIMES, TOO. BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE AN ADULT IN EVERY ROOM, I MEAN, IT'S JUST NOT THE WAY IT WORKS. A LOT OF TIMES SOME OF THESE HAPPEN OFF CAMPUS AS WELL AS ON CAMPUS. AND FOR US, THE SITUATION IS THE SAME. IT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

>> LET'S SWITCH GEARS HERE AND TALK ABOUT A COUPLE OF OTHER THINGS THAT ARE GOING ON AT NORWICH. YOU FOLKS ARE INVOLVED IN BIO MEDICAL RESEARCH. ALSO SOMETHING THAT I THINK FOLKS AT HOME MAY BE A BIT SUR VICE -- SURPRISED TO LEARN FROM A PRIVATE MILITARY COLLEGE THAT YOU'RE LOOKING AT SOLAR HOMES, BUILDING SOLAR HOMES, IN FACT.

>> YES.

>> TO HELP FOLKS RECOVER FROM IRENE, THAT WAS PART OF THE IDEA. TELL US ABOUT THIS PROGRAM.

>> WELL, NORWICH HAS 30 MAJORS, AND ONE OF THEM IS ARCHITECTURE, ANOTHER ONE IS CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT, ANOTHER MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, CIVIL ENGINEERING. SO WE'RE -- THERE ARE VARIATIONS IN SUSTAINABILITY AND -- WE'RE INTERESTED IN SUSTAINABILITY AND GREENNESS. THE MILITARY IS INTERESTED AS WELL. WE ARE A BIG USER OF PETROCHEMICALS FOR SHIPS AND TRAINS AND TANKS. SO WE ARE INTERESTED FIRST OF KSH OFF AS A CAMPUS. SECOND, OUR STUDENTS HAVE AN INTEREST IN BEING VERY GREEN. WE ARE COMPETING RIGHT NOW, IN FACT THE TRAILER AND THE STUDENTS AND FACULTY ARE IN CALIFORNIA COMPETING IN AN INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION. AND THIS WAS OPENED UP TO THE WORLD. THE -- THEY ONLY SELECT 20 FOR THE FINALS, IF YOU THINK OF THIS AS A HOCKEY PLAYOFF SCENARIO, TO THE FROZEN FOUR, NOW IT'S THE FROZEN TWENTY. AND THERE'S TWO SCHOOLS FROM VERMONT. MIDDLEBURY AND NORWICH. UNBELIEVABLE THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN. UNBELIEVABLE. BUT, YOU KNOW, WE'RE SO GREEN AS A STATE, IT'S APPROPRIATE. THE ONLY OTHER STATE THAT HAS MORE THAN -- HAS TWO IS CALIFORNIA. WHICH IS HUGE! I MEAN, YOU KNOW. WE DON'T HAVE ANYWHERE NEAR THE SCHOOLS OR THE STUDENTS OR A WHAT HAVE YOU. IT IS JUST SO ENCOURAGING. THE GOVERNOR DID A GREAT JOB SENDING BOTH TEAMS OFF TO CALIFORNIA. I'M GOING TO GO NEXT WEEK TO SHGSZ WHEN THE ACTUAL COMPETITION. WE WERE THE FIRST HOUSE, THOUGH, TO GET ON THE GREEN AND WE WERE THE FIRST HOUSE READY TO COMPETE. -- TO GET ON THE GRID. IT IS VERY COMPLICATED. AND THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY GIVES US $100,000. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF MONEY, BUT I RAISED ANOTHER $600,000 FROM OUR ALUMS TO BUILD THIS -- DESIGN AND BUILD THIS HOUSE, WHICH ACTUALLY COST LESS THAN THE MEDIAN HOUSE IN VERMONT, AND OUR WONDERFUL NORFOLK SAVINGS BANK, WHEN THEY COMPUTE MORTGAGES AND STUFF, TAKE INTO EFFECT HOW MUCH ENERGY YOU ARE GOING TO USE IN THIS HOUSE. WELL, DRAMATICALLY REDUCED ENERGY CONSUMPTION. SO ALL THAT UPONY THAT YOU WOULD HAVE SPENT ON -- MONEY YOU WOULD HAVE SPENT ON ELECTRIC OR FUEL OIL CAN BE PUT ON YOUR MORTGAGE, SO THE HOUSE COST ABOUT $225,000, IN THAT BALLPARK. WE'LL FIND OUT MORE WHEN WE GO TO CALIFORNIA, SEE HOW WE DO. AND IT HAS TO BE DISASSEMBLED AND TRUCKED ON A FLATBED ALL THE WAY TO CALIFORNIA, AND REINSTALLED AND REBUILT WITHIN A CERTAIN NUMBER OF DAYS, AND THEN THEY DO THE COMPETITION.

>> SO WHY IS THIS A GOOD HOME FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN THROUGH A DISASTER OR HAVE LOST THEIR HOME?

>> WELL, IT IS VERY REASONABLY PRICED, AND IT'S VERY SECURE. IT'S BUILT FOR THIS KIND -- IT'S BUILT FOR 90 DEGREE TEMPERATURE, THERE'S WHERE THE T-90 COMES FROM. 90-DEGREE TEMPERATURE SWING, WHICH WE HAVE IN VERMONT.

>> EASILY.

>> AND IT BASICALLY IS A ZERO CARBON FOOTPRINT. AND WILL NOT TAKE ENERGY TO RUN. THE SOLAR PANELS WILL CARRY YOU, EVEN THROUGH THE WINTER, AND IT IS A REMARKABLE WHAT OUR STUDENTS AND FACULTY HAVE DONE.

>> SO YOU THINK A VERMONTER COULD BE LIVING IN THIS HOME?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> OKAY.

>> IN FACT, I BELIEVE THEY ARE GOING TO BE PRODUCED HERE VERY SHORTLY. WE ARE WORKING WITH CONTRACTOR THAT DOES KIND OF MOBILE HOME DEVELOPMENT THAT HAS ADOPTED MAIN OF THE THINGS THAT WE'VE ALREADY INVENTED, AND STRATEGIES THAT WE'RE USING IN THIS HOME, HUNTINGTON HOMES HAS BEEN A GREAT PARTNER WITH US. AND I THINK THEY ARE GOING TO START SELLING THEM.

>> AND YOU FIND OUT WHEN ON THE COMPETITION?

>> ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF.

>> WE'LL HAVE OUR FINGERS CROSSED.

>> OH, YEAH.

>> GO MIDDLEBURY.

>> AND THE REST OF THE STATES BEHIND US.

>> WE DON'T TAKE A SIDE IN THE DEBATE. HOPE YOU DO VERY WELL. NORWICH UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT RICHARD SCHNEIDER, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

>> GREAT TO BE HERE.

>> THANKS FOR WATCHING. HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY. TAKE CARE. Captioning provided by Caption Associates, LLC

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.