Crews are investigating a house fire in Windsor.
The fire broke out in the Route 5 property around 9 p.m. Sunday night. Firefighters say it started on a stove and quickly spread. No one was hurt, but the house was severely damaged.
Firefighters say the age of the building made it tough to fight the flames. "It was difficult fire to fight because the fire got concealed in the walls. A lot of the older farmhouses in the area are balloon frame construction. If you are familiar with that, you know there are lot of void spaces that you don't typically see in today's new modern structures. So, the guys worked really hard last night for about 3 hours to complete the salvage and overhaul operation," said Windsor Fire Chief Mark Kirko.
Several cats died in the fire. Horses and dogs at the property were not hurt -- they're being boarded by neighbors. The American Red Cross is helping with shelter and supplies.