Heater may have set off Vt. shopping center alarm - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Heater may have set off Vt. shopping center alarm

Posted: Updated:

BENNINGTON, Vt. (AP) - Firefighters in Bennington, Vt., say a heater going on may have accidentally set off fire alarms at a shopping center, which forced shoppers to evacuate.

No fires were discovered and the heater was undamaged at the Bennington Square Shopping Center on Thursday afternoon.

The Bennington Banner reports firefighters said employees at the RadioShack heard a "booming sound" and then the fire alarm went off.

Shoppers evacuated from the stores, which also include a Staples, K-Mart and a JC Penney.

Firefighters at the scene believed that the plaza's heater had come online and set off the alarms. The last time that happened, however, it started a small fire. So they took extra precautions.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.