Some tense moments at Bradford Elementary School Wednesday, but it turned out to be a false alarm.
Police were called early Wednesday afternoon for a report of a possible explosive device in the school. Authorities were able to quickly determine the device was a homemade battery-operated lantern made by a student. Officials say if anything, the incident served as a good emergency response drill.
"The learning experience today is following through with how these things should be taken care of. And I believe the school administration, the school faculty, the Bradford Fire Department and my police department followed through the way that they were supposed to," Bradford Police Chief Jeff Stiegler said.
The school was not evacuated during the incident and district officials say at no time was there any risk to students or staff.