Vermonters in some parts
of the state awoke to temperatures well below zero Tuesday. And when the
thermometer reads negative 37 degrees, like it did at Tom Rogers' house in
Stowe, staying warm and staying safe can sometimes be challenging.
One homeowner in Richmond
was trying to protect his home from the cold Tuesday morning when disaster
homeowner was trying to thaw some pipes with a heater under the trailer. They
froze up overnight," Richmond Fire Chief Thomas Levesque said.
Levesque says the owner
was using a portable propane can, which sparked the blaze. Crews were on the
scene quickly. They say flames were shooting from the mobile home on Summer Street when they arrived.
"I could see smoke
coming through one window and starting to deteriorate the roof area. And then
once it broke through the roof, oxygen got to the fire-- it just spread through
the whole trailer," Levesque said.
The owner of the trailer
was the only one home at the time. He escaped unharmed and officials say he was
lucky. They say it's important that people are prepared before the cold weather
"In this cold
weather, make sure you do things safely. Make sure your heating system's been
tuned up, make sure you don't use any open flames to thaw pipes. Use a
hairdryer or something like that," Levesque said.
The Red Cross is providing
assistance to the family in Richmond.
Vermont State Police are
also asking people to check in on their neighbors. They say they found an
elderly woman in Georgia Monday night without any heat on in her home.
"It just comes back
to looking out for your neighbors, especially those neighbors who may have
needs requiring that they be checked on, especially those elderly neighbors
that live alone," Vt. State Police Lt. John Flannigan said.
Some schools had to close
Tuesday because their buses wouldn't start, just one more casualty of these
cold winter days.
Sunday, March 9 2014 10:10 AM EDT2014-03-09 14:10:32 GMT
Two New Hampshire communities damaged by storms are getting federal help. Lincoln will get more than $4.5 million for a bridge repair from Tropical Storm Irene. FEMA also awarded Lebanon more than $3More >>
Two New Hampshire communities damaged by storms are getting federal help.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 10:09 AM EDT2014-03-09 14:09:58 GMT
This morning, Channel 3 has learned there will NOT be a bus strike Monday morning in Chittenden County. CCTA officials told us in a statement that after 19 hours of negotiations that went into the morningMore >>
This morning, Channel 3 has learned there will NOT be a bus strike Monday morning in Chittenden County.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 10:09 AM EDT2014-03-09 14:09:06 GMT
A Ken Burns documentary featuring Vermont students will have its premiere in Brattleboro. The film is called "The Address". It follows the 50 boys at the Greenwood School in Putney who have learningMore >>
A Ken Burns documentary featuring Vermont students will have its premiere in Brattleboro.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 10:03 AM EDT2014-03-09 14:03:58 GMT
New Hampshire police say a man is recovering after he accidentally shot himself. Claremont police tell us that the man was cleaning his gun Saturday night when it went off. He was taken to the hospitalMore >>
New Hampshire police say a man is recovering after he accidentally shot himself.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 9:59 AM EDT2014-03-09 13:59:53 GMT
This towering ice fortress is dazzling visitors to Loon Mountain in New Hampshire. "Yeah, this is a wow moment," says visitor Millie Gabriel. "It's an incredible feeling to see people really light upMore >>
If you're ready to see one more beautiful thing before we say hello to spring, then we've found the spot for you.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 9:53 AM EDT2014-03-09 13:53:41 GMT
When the Wild Center in Tupper Lake was looking at maple education programs, they hit a bit of a snag. "I took a survey of the 31 acres here at the museum and we only had one maple tree on the property,"More >>
The Community Maple program has been going for three years now, allowing people to take the sap from their backyard and learn how to turn it into syrup.
Sunday, March 9 2014 9:44 AM EDT2014-03-09 13:44:12 GMT
We've got some tasty ideas for this second Sunday in March! PANCAKE BREAKFAST This year is the 20th annual Franklin Fire Dept. Pancake breakfast at the Franklin Central School. They serve more than 2,000More >>
We've got some tasty ideas for this second Sunday in March!More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:49 PM EST2014-03-09 02:49:49 GMT
The Burlington Yoga Conference began Saturday at UVM's Davis Center. The event gives participants a chance to connect the mind body and soul through workshops they may not have access to on a daily basis.More >>
The Burlington Yoga Conference began 6 years ago and has become a staple in the community.More >>