Fumes force Burlington building evacuation - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Fumes force Burlington building evacuation

Posted: Updated:

A Burlington office building was evacuated Friday morning because of dangerous fumes.

Employees at the Kelleher Samets Volk advertising agency noticed a smell and called in emergency crews. Burlington firefighters tracked the smell to a leaking bucket in the basement of the building.

"A bucket in the basement of the building that was leaking and when they found it had probably spilled about a gallon of a particular substance and the big actor in it was xylene. Xylene is a flammable liquid, but it's also not really good to inhale," said Chris Herrick of the Vt. Hazmat Team.

Herrick says the spill will be cleaned up by an environmental remediation crew before the building's employees can return.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WCAX. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.