The ice storm of 2013 has turned deadly. One person in the Northeast Kingdom died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Now the health department is warning people to be careful with generators and other heating equipment. Officials urge people to never use generators or grills inside. They are also warning people to clear gas appliance vents outside. There's been a spike in CO poisonings since the ice storm hit.
"There are several EMS responses in the northern tier of the state of patients being found and transported to the hospital. And in many cases EMS responds with fire crews and fire departments carry special meters that measure CO levels and in some of these cases elevated levels were still detectable after EMS and fire resources arrived," said Michael Leyden with the Vt. Health Dept.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. Early symptoms include headache, dizziness and nausea. It can also cause sleepiness, vision problems and confusion.
Friday, April 18 2014 10:13 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:13:23 GMT
A mother and her five-old child were taken to Fletcher Allen Friday night after being hit by a car in Winooski. Police say the accident happened around 8-30 at the intersection of West Spring and NorthMore >>
A mother and her five-old child were taken to Fletcher Allen Friday night after being hit by a car in Winooski.More >>
Friday, April 18 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:16:40 GMT
Vt. State Police say a small plane has crashed on Interstate 89 north in Highgate. A state airport official confirms that a single-engine aerobatic plane was in the vicinity of the Franklin County StateMore >>
The pilot of a small plane parachuted to safety before his aircraft crashed on Interstate 89 north in Highgate Friday. More >>