A malfunctioning heater may behind a blaze in Rutland town Tuesday.
The Rutland town fire department spent New Year's Eve doing what they do best. Along with the Rutland City and Pittsford fire departments, they were fighting a blazing structure fire on Woodstock Ave., near Ross Street in Rutland.
"It's been pretty difficult to extinguish; it took most of the roof off," said Chief Joe Denardo, of the Rutland Town Fire Department.
Officials believe the fire at the commercial building, which houses businesses including a Floormaster and Safelite, started as a result of a malfunctioning gas heater. The fire started around 4 p.m. and crews continued to battle the blaze hours later. Officials say that is due to the way the fire spread across the roof.
"The roof is doing what it's supposed to do, it's shutting out water, and we've been unable to get water in horizontally, we've only been able to get water in vertically," said Denardo.
Fire officials say there was one employee of Safelite in the building at the time the fire started, who alerted them to the fire. They say no one was injured. Onlookers stopped to take it all in.
"Flames were shooting quite a ways out of the building, 20, 30 feet in the air, and a lot of smoke," Dave Swahn said.
The department says the response required multiple crews, not just due to the size of the blaze, but because the cold weather requires firefighters to take more frequent breaks to thaw out before going back in to continue to extinguish the fire.
Fire officials say the building is a complete loss.
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:49 PM EST2014-03-09 02:49:49 GMT
The Burlington Yoga Conference began Saturday at UVM's Davis Center. The event gives participants a chance to connect the mind body and soul through workshops they may not have access to on a daily basis.More >>
The Burlington Yoga Conference began 6 years ago and has become a staple in the community.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:29 PM EST2014-03-09 02:29:17 GMT
A warning for pet owners in our region. Coyotes are on the prowl. A biologist in New Hampshire says he has received more than 10 calls recently, in the Keene, New Hampshire area, for a deer that was takenMore >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 9:21 PM EST2014-03-09 02:21:44 GMT
As spring approaches, many Vermont homeowners prepare to work on their houses - so they head to the Burlington Home Show. And many Vermont small business owners - with their products and services on displayMore >>
Many business owners at the Burlington Home Show say the new health care system in Vermont is helpful, but some say it's causing a real headache.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 8:07 PM EST2014-03-09 01:07:08 GMT
A rally at the State House in Montpelier Saturday. A passionate group of dozens of women, and men, assembled in front of the State House Saturday for the Women's March for Dignity. They were demandingMore >>
Women's March for Dignity say they are demanding lawmakers support paid sick day policies for all workers.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:21 AM EST2014-03-08 15:21:27 GMT
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries. They were injured while fighting a at the Bennett Farm on Route 15 on the Johnson-Cambridge town line. The fire started in a shed around 7:30 FridayMore >>
Two firefighters are recovering from minor injuries.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:42 GMT
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury. They immediately took to Facebook after hearing about this fire and started planning to collectMore >>
Friends are rallying around families who lost everything in an apartment building fire in St. Johnsbury.More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:20 AM EST2014-03-08 15:20:05 GMT
Reporter: "What are some of the most common burn injuries that we see with kids coming into the hospital?" Jim Esdon, Dartmouth Hitchcock Injury Prevention Center: "This time of year, the glass frontedMore >>
We've had another cold week that's left homeowners cranking the heat. But what does that mean for kids' safety?More >>
Saturday, March 8 2014 10:19 AM EST2014-03-08 15:19:21 GMT
Armed with just two L rods, 87-year-old John Wayne Blassingame starts looking for water by asking yes or no questions. "Does it go past 20 feet, does it go past 30 feet, yah," he says. The rods crossingMore >>
A national organization based in Danville says it is providing resources to people in desperate need to find water.More >>