Two Rutland businesses are left picking up the pieces after a fire destroyed the building where their offices were located.
Not much is left of the commercial structure on Woodstock Avenue near Ross Street. The building housed Floormasters and Safelite stores.
The Rutland Town Fire Department has declared the building a total loss after calling in the Pittsford and Rutland City Fire Departments and fighting the fire for over six hours Tuesday night.
They say the building owners will take it from here.
"They'll come in and their insurance company might want to determine a cause, and then they'll get somebody in here to take the rest of the building down, and decide what they're gonna do from there," Rutland Town Fire Chief Joe Denardo said.
The department believes the cause of the fire was a malfunctioning gas heater.
They encourage people to get their heaters checked at least once per year to prevent such incidents.