State and local officials are investigating a 13-year-old's suicide at the Brattleboro Retreat.
Hospital officials say it happened Friday. The patient lived in a group home across the street from the hospital. Doors are not locked and officials say patients who are part of that program are deemed appropriate for that level of security. The 13-year-old had been a patient since mid-December and was not a state hospital patient. Police and the Vermont Department of Children and Families are investigating, and the hospital is doing its own internal review to see what happened and what may need to change.
"Our focus right now is sending prayers out to the family, making sure that the other adolescents in our programs are safe and assisting in any way to complete the investigation," said Brattleboro Retreat Senior V.P. Peter Albert.
Reporter Kristin Kelly: The families who have loved ones at the retreat... what can you say to them to make them feel confident that their loved one is safe at the retreat?
Peter Albert: We deal with thousands of people every year -- find treatment for them. We get up every morning with the intention of taking care of people and help them, keep them safe, and get them back to their homes where they belong -- that core mission has not changed for us.
Retreat staff will meet Tuesday to review information gathered so far. The police investigation is expected to be complete later this week. The hospital says this is the first suicide in that program.