Cleaners, contractors and electricians are just beginning their work at the Thayers Inn in Littleton after disaster struck. "We were really shaken by the whole experience, but it's an old building. It has been here since 1843 and it is still going to be here. It is not going anywhere," said Inn Manager Harry Almeida.
But it is need of serious repairs. Friday afternoon a water pipe burst in the attic of the 39 room hotel. In a matter of minutes water flooded the Inn and attached restaurant named Bailiwicks. Ten guests were staying there at the time. Six of the rooms will be closed for a while and damage is easy to see throughout the building -- ceilings collapsed, floors stained and warped and furniture ruined. A lot of the electrical wiring will also need to be replaced. "It was like if we had a fire hydrant on the top of the building -- just gushing water," Almeida said.
Fire officials estimate 500 gallons of water were flowing through the building every single minute it was on -- which was ten to fifteen minutes. So, if you do the math it's easy to understand why the damage is so extensive.
"It was a rushing river of water coming down their staircase," said Bailiwicks Owner Stacey Northrop. And the water kept flowing downward into Bailwick's bar. Damage there is the greatest. Not to mention all the inventory that needs to be thrown out."It was in between lunch and dinner so we only had three customers in here that had to be evacuated out of the building, but we has a full staff," Northrop said.
The restaurant portion of the building will likely be closed for several weeks. But, the Northrop is happy no one was hurt, saying it could have been much worse. "There's a lot of silver linings, and we are going to rebuild and we will be better and it will be nice and shiny and everyone will have a grand re-opening," she said.
As for the Inn, it's booked for weddings for the next two weekends. Employees say they will be working as fast as they can to make sure at least part of the historic building is ready. "It's on the national registry of historical sites since 1983, so we will be back," Almeida said.
Bouncing back after a big blow to one of Littleton's most well known establishments.
Sunday, March 9 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-03-10 02:43:23 GMT
The Burlington Yoga Conference began Saturday at UVM's Davis Center. The event gives participants a chance to connect the mind body and soul through workshops they may not have access to on a daily basis.More >>
The Burlington Yoga Conference began 6 years ago and has become a staple in the community.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 7:56 PM EDT2014-03-09 23:56:33 GMT
Flags were flying on the Statehouse steps Sunday afternoon as more than 500 people gathered for the Gun Owners of Vermont Rally."Vermonters -- not just hunting Vermonters who happen to have firearms forMore >>
A trio of gun control measures may have gotten the green light from Burlington voters on Town Meeting Day, but the charter changes face strong opposition across the state, and a possible uphill battle at the Statehouse.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 7:43 PM EDT2014-03-09 23:43:32 GMT
Is the marketing behind Electronic Cigarettes aimed at kids?New York Senator Chuck Schumer (D-New York) says the industry's trendy packaging and flavors like bubble gum and cotton candy aren't foolingMore >>
Schumer is co-sponsoring a Senate bill that would ban e-cigarette marketing aimed at kids.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 7:42 PM EDT2014-03-09 23:42:02 GMT
Senator Bernie Sanders is among a group of Senators set to hold an "all-nighter" to call attention to climate Change.Members of the so-called Senate Climate Action Task Force -- nearly two dozen in allMore >>
Senator Bernie Sanders is among a group of Senators set to hold an "all-nighter" to call attention to climate Change.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 7:40 PM EDT2014-03-09 23:40:46 GMT
A Chimney fire is the likely cause of a blaze that destroyed a home in St. Albans Town.The owner of the home on Pike Drive called for help a little after 9:30 a.m. Sunday. When firefighters arrived theyMore >>
A Chimney fire is the likely cause of a blaze that destroyed a home in St. Albans Town.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-03-09 23:38:52 GMT
Jazz fingers, dance moves -- and plenty of passion. The Urban Reach Dance Convention is giving aspiring dancers the chance to learn from some of the music industry's most acclaimed teachers, who have workedMore >>
Aspiring dancers hit the floor this weekend at the 8th annual Urban Reach Dance Convention.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-03-09 22:08:59 GMT
This morning, Channel 3 has learned there will NOT be a bus strike Monday morning in Chittenden County. CCTA officials told us in a statement that after 19 hours of negotiations that went into the morningMore >>
Sunday morning CCTA officials announced that after a marathon negotiation session they delivered a complete contract proposal to the union.More >>
Sunday, March 9 2014 2:52 PM EDT2014-03-09 18:52:05 GMT
Governor Peter Shumlin was in Rhode Island over the weekend. His office says the Governor was at Brown University in Providence taking part in a forum with the Rhode Island Governor. He is expected toMore >>
Governor Peter Shumlin was in Rhode Island over the weekend.More >>